Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Growth Chart (Estimate your own ice)

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
One of the most important functions of being an ice fishing educator is stressing the need to be informed. Please gather as much information as you can before heading out for first ice. I know how frustrating it can be to arrive at the lake and have conditions make fishing dangerous or impossible. Please use this chart as a basis for calculating the ice sheet in your area. Make an informed decision BEFORE leaving for the lake. Once you're there, check you own ice with a spud bar or chisel. As always, check IFO for dependable reports, and exercise caution.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
well said, ratherbe   experience, good intel, common sense , just remember the lakes don't freeze evenly , I have been on 4 "  and there were big open water spots out farther.
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
Nice chart Ryan. What effect has the win  have on the making of ice?

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The surface of the ice creates drag during windy conditions. The wind has a more pronounced effect when open water is present. If a lake is firmly frozen, the effect of wind is reduced. I don't know of any benefit to having a windswept ice sheet beyond that of wind chill.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I actually read somewhere that wind will actually help ice formation.  Think it said that it helps pull the warmth away from the surface or something.  It was on a posted link on here earlier this winter. I would assume it would have to be frozen enough already that the wind wouldn't break up the ice.

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
when a lake has 4 or more inches of ice. is there a temperature chart for melting ice? the reason i ask is just curiosity. question how long ice can stay safe?  love scientific explanations.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
There are so many factors at play with wind, rain and snow that it would be unreasonable to come together with a calculation. The formation of ice on this chart is dependent on skim ice being present, and eliminating the factors above the surface.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake