Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Insulated vs. Non?

Suttalo · 10 · 10966

Suttalo

• Suttalo
    • View Profile
Looking to add a pop up hub style shanty 3-4 person like "Eskimo Fatfish". Is it worth the extra money to get the insulated? 
Thanks
"The spirit of the bow dwells in the hearts of all young men."

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
insulated is much warmer,does not require as much to heat and sweats less,my eskimo flip over warms up with a single mantle lantern in it,i vote for insulated.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
insulated would be nice if it wasn't to heavy
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
X2 what holehopper said. No condensation dropping on your head, also much less moisture when putting things away at days end. Snowcone is right with the weight, but the little extra is worth it I think. I have both styles and much prefer my insulated, it's all I use now.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Both my dx4000 and evo1 are non insulated and I get to hot in both with the lil buddy heater, always end up taking my coat off. I don't think Ohio calls for the insulated but it's a personal preference. I don't need the extra weight at 55, lol.

Suttalo

• Suttalo
    • View Profile
 Thanks for the input guys. My main concern is keeping the wife warm when I take her she hates the cold. Also I take a lot of kids and new people so my main concern is keeping them warm. my two shanties are non-insulated and I do fine.  However I could do without the sweating inside.  I've got a few models in mind. I'll post them later to get further opinions and do some Internet reviews.
 Be safe and spud your way!
Thanks
Suttalo
"The spirit of the bow dwells in the hearts of all young men."

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Also the insulation helps keep the walls from sweating as much from condensation. But they certainly add a lot of weight.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Get what you can afford... both in Dollars & overall physical ability in hauling such.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Oh since you mentioned the 4 letter word (wife) I'd go with the insulated....  8)

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
I bought the new Clam Kenai Pro Thermal this year. 1 man flip over and it only weighs 40 pounds with out gear. The thermal cover on this model doesn't add much weight. 8)
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes