bait shops to get maggots an shinners/minnows

ice thickness
1 (100%)
fishing reports on pymatuning lake
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

crappiecatcher93

• View Profile
Hello I am new to the site i live in central Pa an I am a avid ice fishermen went to Pymatuning over the summer an had a blast caught some nice perch an walleye an a couple catfish wondering how it is to ice fish it? how do i get information on ice conditions over the coming winter an where are some bait an tackle store near their i could shinners an minnows? any information would be much appreciated.

crappiecatcher93

• View Profile
any pointers on targeting walleye like what are some good lures to use or any information on fishing pymatuning would be very helpful thank you.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Welcome my fellow iceman, you joined us on a bit of a slow period.  Give it a few weeks and the help will come pouring in.  I love to fish for walleyes and some of my go to baits are the jigging rap and various spoons fished vertically. Stay tuned and you will get lots of feedback. Also check back in Cuz my NE OHIO PANFISH tournament is making a stop at pymatuning this season and we would love to have you join us.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

crappiecatcher93

• View Profile
ok thank you very much an id injoy that I've never been to an ice fishing tournament always wanted to get into one. I have mostly fished for perch,crappie an bluegills.

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Welcome crappiecatche. A lot of guys use vib-e or jigging raps on that lake. I plan on hitting that lake hard this season if ice permits us to.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

Saw guy

• View Profile
I haven't fished it in a few years, but used to be a really good walleye lake. I've heard that it's been up and down with the walleye over the last few years. Was also a very good crappie lake.

crappiecatcher93

• View Profile
Ok thank you I've seen guys use jigging raps. Whats the average size of the crappies your catching on that lake? i mainly wanna target panfish an walleye do see many pike  or musky being caught during the ice fishing season their?

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
Welcome fellow ice junkie! Haven't fished pymy in a few years but vib-es are great for eyes and the crappie run from 8" up to 15" which is my personal best. I'm sure there are bigger in there

crappiecatcher93

• View Profile
ok thank you for the info my biggest crappie is 15 inchs I wanna see if I can top that an ive always wanted to get an walleye through the ice.

crappiecatcher93

• View Profile
I had another question for anybody who is willing to answer do you catch more walleye jigging or tip ups an for tips ups what would be a good spot to put one on a drop off in the water channel or a shelf were it stays the same depth for alittle way then drops off again?

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile
I do far better jigging than with tip-ups, although I'll admit that I'm still learning with the tip-ups.  If I could only use one system, it would be jigging with a Vib-E hands down.

Welcome!!!!!

crappiecatcher93

• View Profile
ok thank you I wasn't sure what technique was more successful than the other I kinda figured jigging was the way to get would a buck shot rattle spoon work? about 1/8 ounce? an what colors work best on walleye

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
Rattle spoons in a variety of sizes and colors, jigging raps and jigging shad raps and any other larger profile bait will work. It helps to have a selection as eyes can get picky at times. My favorite colors are fire tiger, blue and black chrome and I'm also starting to like the UV colors.

crappiecatcher93

• View Profile
ok thank you just reeleyez got awhile before ice fishing even starts but I like to be prepared an have options. I'm considering on ordering a couple of the  vib-es  lures an trying them when I go up

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
don't forget good ole chartreuse,usually my go to.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

Vexilar