Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice Shanty Mods - Wide 1 Inferno - Part 1

Downthehole

• View Profile
Hi All,

I decided I would trick out my Eskimo Wide 1 Inferno. Most of the ideas came from posts in this forum and researching YouTube (A big thanks to everyone who shares their ideas!). MY goal was to store my gear more effectively and get fishing quicker while maintaining the general look of the shanty. I have quite a few pics so I'll add in multiple posts.

Front Lights & Rod Holder

I installed a piece of 3/8" aluminum angle across the back of the sled to support rod holders for dead sticking. Above the aluminum angle are 3 Clam Led Sled lights. All were installed with stainless nuts, screws and washers which double as fasteners for the tray (later post).

This was a pretty simple install with fixing and wiring taking a couple of hours.

More to follow....
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:42:52 PM by Downthehole »
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

Downthehole

• View Profile
Storage Tray

The Wide 1 Inferno comes with a cargo net that is installed under the seat. Although practical I wanted a tray that I can store rods, tackle and other gear including batteries for the electrical system.

The tray is 10" x 26" made from 1/8" HDPE sheet bent to shape and welded in each corner. I secured the tray using stainless self-tapping screws. The screws from the front lights/rod holder at the front gave more support. The tray is very rugged yet light due to materials and construction.

The tray took around 3 hours to make and then 1 hour to install.

Downthehole

• View Profile
Control Box

Lights and power were a key thing I wanted to install on the shanty so I made a control box so that I can switch lights and other powered devices on and off as required.

The control box has a voltmeter and USB outlet that are switched. It also has a 12 cigarette lighter outlet that I can use for charging the batteries. I modified a Vexilar charger to make a long charging lead that I can plug into the 12v outlet for charging. Additionally, there are switches for the front lights and 3 sets of pole lights in the shanty.

This part of the project was tedious - it took around 4 hours to build the control box and then another 1 hour to connect everything.

Downthehole

• View Profile
Battery Compartment

I installed 2 x Vexilar 9 Amp Hour batteries in the storage tray below the control box to power everything. The power is fused and runs up to a terminal strip in the control box. From power is supplied to the switches in the control box and on to lights, outlets etc.

Installation of the batteries didn't take long - probably around 1 hour to install and then 1 hour to wrap the cables. All cables in the project are protected with spiral wrap, heat shrink or, braded cable sheath as applicable.

Downthehole

• View Profile
Center Console

To store my bucket, vex, heater, accessories and propane more effectively I built a center console out of 1/8" HDPE sheet. 3/8" aluminum stiffeners were used to give the console more strength. The console is screwed to 3/4" aluminum angle rails bolted to the bottom of the sled. I anchored the console to the frame that supports the chair and the made an angle bracket fix the front of the console to the front of the sled. All connections were made using stainless hardware and sealed to prevent water ingress.

My rod bag, auger and other gear fits nicely between the center console and the sides of the sled.

Building and installing the center console took around 5 hours. Cutting holes for the gear to fit is was a little difficult but everything worked out fine.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:41:26 AM by Downthehole »

Downthehole

• View Profile
Lights

I installed Clam Light Sticks (Small) in the cover poles to light the shanty. I had to modify the light sticks as they are longer than the width of the top of the poles. This took a while but the result was good. The wiring from the lights was anchored at the light end using epoxy putty. As the other end I used grommets. The wiring was run in braided sheath to give it more mechanical strength and finally wrapped in spiral wrap. I put sufficient slack in the wiring to allow me to disconnect it easily in the future, if needed. There's no issue running the wire in the poles so long as it is anchored and protected.

Modifying the light sticks and completing wiring took around 6 hours.

Downthehole

• View Profile
Final Build & Accessories

I put the cover on the Shanty this morning and installed a few other accessories:

- Clam Ice Anchor Key to keep it anchored in high winds
- Frabill Hooks for my jacket and sled cover
- Flexible Rod holder
- Velcro Tape to hold the skirt close to the sled (prevent drafts)

I'm sure there will be other accessories added however; that's the tricked out sled pretty much done. Now all we need is some hard water so I can test it out.

If anyone has any comments/additional suggestions for further enhancements please let me know. Also, if anyone wants more detailed information on the mods I've done, PM me and I'll provide additional details.

Andy

PS : Special thanks to my Pa for helping!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 11:24:49 AM by Downthehole »

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile

Downthehole

• View Profile
Congrats on a fine build.  Well done.

Thanks Lee - can't wait to test the mods out...it will be a long wait for hard water.....

Andy

bigfisher937

• View Profile
Looks great! Never thought to use HDPE, will definitely consider it for my next mods. Did you install runners on the bottom of yours?

Downthehole

• View Profile
Looks great! Never thought to use HDPE, will definitely consider it for my next mods. Did you install runners on the bottom of yours?

I have the Hyfax Runners - installed them last year...

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile
Do yourself a favor and build a smitty sled... they're fantastic!!

Downthehole

• View Profile
They look very good - not sure I have use for one though. Everything I need is in the flip over. The lightness of the smithy sled does look appealing though...

Andy

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
That's awesome!!  Gives me some ideas for my clam 1 man!!  Great job, well done! 👏🏻👏🏻
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Downthehole

• View Profile
That's awesome!!  Gives me some ideas for my clam 1 man!!  Great job, well done! 👏🏻👏🏻

Thanks slab....it was a good project, vey happy with the results...

Andy

Vexilar