Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Greetings from Toledo

ryanr623

• View Profile
Morning all! New member/Ice Fisherman from Toledo, Ohio here. A little bit of background. Avid hunter and fisherman, who's always wanted to try out ice fishing. Well 2 years ago I finally found someone with a shanty and who was willing to go towards the end of that year. I fell in love immediately. However last year, since the winter season wasn't all that cold, I wasn't comfortable going out.... so I've literally been waiting almost 2 years to go again.... And finally it's been cold enough! Bought all my gear and I'm thinking with the 2 weeks of cold weather and the past 5 days of 0 degree night weather I should be good to go.

One question. How do you guys measure the ice thickness? I'm overly cautious so going out onto the ice to drill a hole on ice you're not sure about seems dangerous to me.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
First off, welcome!!!
As far as ice thickness, use a spud bar.  Typically if it doesn't go thru on 3 hits, you're safe. You can drill holes and measure with a tape also. But any ice angler will tell you a spud bar is vital to have. Saved me from getting wet more than once. If you search this site in the ice safety section you'll get all kinds of pointers for safe travels on the ice as well as what safety gear you'll need if you don't already have it. Also feel free to ask any other questions about ice safety. We'll be glad to help you!
And maybe pm handymanjeff, he's in your area and might be able to fish with you a time or 2 till you feel more comfortable. Glad you found the site!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

ryanr623

• View Profile
Thanks! Any recommendations on brands of spud bars?

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes. I got a 12 pound pry bar from Ace. There is a thread in the general discussion just recently on the topic of spud bars. That has a lot of useful information and the preferences of a lot of different guys. It should be helpful.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

ryanr623

• View Profile

Vexilar