Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Cool gadget I just stumbled across-arrived-updated review with pics

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Well if Quackpot isn't going to buy a half dozen then I doubt I would ever buy it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:16:23 PM by Evinrude58 »

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Ok. Here's the scoop. It just arrived today. The concept is really cool!  But if it was adjustable it would be better.  It's 2 feet high and not adjustable.  But the way it is designed, you can fish a jigging rap or larger lure thru it no problem.  I can see this being a great "livewell" if you will. The fish can't get out the bottom, so if the ice isn't that thick and you don't want your fish to freeze by throwing them in a bucket or up on the ice you can drill a hole and lower the Crappie coffin down. You can adjust how far down the hole you slide it.  Then put your fish in there and they'll stay in the water and not freeze. This might be more of the application I use it for. I detest it when my fish freeze.  Here's a couple pics!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Just a thought slab. Could you cut it down to say 10 or 12 inches? That way you'd be covered with just about any ice thickness you'd get around here and it wouldn't be so big.  It's not something I see me ever using but if you want to try it that may be a solution.

Downthehole

• View Profile
You could always use it as a bird cage or fill it with nuts and use it as a giant bird feeder?
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

quackpot

• View Profile
Nate went to the ice show a few weeks ago. He saw them there and asked them about using a jigging rap through it.he asked if there would be any issues with line having problems with the wires to lock fish in.  He said they had a confused look on their face and didn't have a answer.

quackpot

• View Profile
After having saugeye getting out of the bottom of a fish basket with my luck they would get out of it. Slab if you don't like frozen fish take a plastic bag with you and put your fish in it and set it in the shanty. People will group around a shanty with fish outside of it.

Downthehole

• View Profile
After having saugeye getting out of the bottom of a fish basket with my luck they would get out of it. Slab if you don't like frozen fish take a plastic bag with you and put your fish in it and set it in the shanty. People will group around a shanty with fish outside of it.

That's a good tip....
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Good idea!  I don't keep fish often, but when I do they do draw a crowd if not hidden......
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

quackpot

• View Profile
I've had birds take them also. Nothing like having some nice fish outside and you hear something, when you look out a bird is eating them before you get a chance.

toadfish

• View Profile
Crappie coffin looks like it would cause more fish to get knocked off than saving the after they fall off in the hole.  It is bulky and makes moving from hole to hole much harder.  When was the last time we had 2" of ice in Ohio?  I think I will grab my panfish and gaff my walleye/Saugeye, if I ever get out on the ice again.  I do like the idea of a hidden live net to keep fish alive and out of sight.

Let us know what you think if you ever get to use it.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Will do. I think the latter will be the primary use for it here in Ohio. If we get tons of ice like a couple years back it might be tries as intended.

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar