Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Knots and Paint on Jigs....

Downthehole

• View Profile
Since we have no ice at the moment and a promise of a 3rd round I thought I'd try and settle a few questions I have on technique....any comments welcome:

What do you use to get the paint out of the eyes of jigs?

Which knot do you use to tie jigs etc onto your line? (I use a clinch knot or palomar knot but I've found that the clinch knot comes undone sometimes)

If you use a clinch knot do you stick to 6 turns.....does that matter?

These may seem simple questions however; I've sat in my shanty trying to get paint out of jig eyes for too long and had clinch knots come undone too many times......wondering what techniques you have......

Andy

Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
For the jigs I use a tool designed to poke the paint out of the eyes. I've had it for 20 years and can't remember the name, but I've seen it in stores recently.  Eye buster or something like that.
And knot I use the palomar.  Once in a while if I'm in a hurry after gills I'll use a double clinch where I feed the tag thru twice. That's never come undone on me.  Also if you pull the tag end tight on a standard clinch after cinching it down then clinch again they've never come undone for me either. 
Hope that helps.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Downthehole

• View Profile
For the jigs I use a tool designed to poke the paint out of the eyes. I've had it for 20 years and can't remember the name, but I've seen it in stores recently.  Eye buster or something like that.
And knot I use the palomar.  Once in a while if I'm in a hurry after gills I'll use a double clinch where I feed the tag thru twice. That's never come undone on me.  Also if you pull the tag end tight on a standard clinch after cinching it down then clinch again they've never come undone for me either. 
Hope that helps.

It does....thank-you!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Andy one thing that really helps me is to get the paint out of my jig eyes ahead of time. I try to clean them out before I put them in my box. That way I don't have to mess with it when I'm fishing. I have the tool for doing it but a lot of times I'll just use the point of  another hook to clean them out. And I just use a fishermans knot. Think it's the same as a clinch. 7 twists, through the little loop then through the big loop. Rarely have one fail.

Downthehole

• View Profile
Andy one thing that really helps me is to get the paint out of my jig eyes ahead of time. I try to clean them out before I put them in my box. That way I don't have to mess with it when I'm fishing. I have the tool for doing it but a lot of times I'll just use the point of  another hook to clean them out. And I just use a fishermans knot. Think it's the same as a clinch. 7 twists, through the little loop then through the big loop. Rarely have one fail.

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong...need to do the big loop too. I'll try it...

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I preclean all my jig eyes too. Saves time and trying to clean paint from a 2/100 ounce jig in 10 degree weather is no easy task.

Team Wilcraft!

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Yeah and there's nothing like dropping a 3 dollar tungsten jig head down your ice hole trying to get the paint out of the eye. Did that once.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yes  pre clean , if ya can .   besides i drop enough junk down the hole....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

g

• View Profile
I use the eye buster tool or another hook to clean jig eyes out too. I always tie a palomar knot, easy to tie and superior knot strength. I used to tie clinch knots but had problems with them slipping on lighter lines soft water fishing so I switched to palomar knots exclusively. Have never had a palomar knot come undone yet.

Downthehole

• View Profile
Thanks for the advice guys! As ever, much appreciated...

Vexilar