Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Has anybody been out recently?

G.M.T · 22 · 13484

G.M.T

• View Profile
The fishing reports board is starting to look a little dated...  Has anybody been out?
It just feels like most people only posts when there's ice, and they don't really bother with open water.

I'm finally getting the chance to take the boat out with a couple friends this weekend and can't decide where to go. Thinking maybe Westbranch, Milton, or Berlin.  We're in the Akron area and don't want to travel too too far, friend has a baby at home and his fiancé goes psycho if we're out for too long, so we want to keep her happy so we can go out again this year. Lol

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Not sure on the big lakes. I know my dad got a few bass this weekend but he was on a small2 acre private lake. They should be moving by now though. And I totally understand that baby thing........but at least my wife understands sometimes I need a day to fish and keep my sanity!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
Haven't been out for a couple weeks since they closed Rocky Fork marinas to fishing. The campground at Erie opens this weekend so I will take the boat up there. Will give reports when I get out again.

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Sometimes it seems I live on Nimi. Haven't been catching a lot lately myself but I know people that have been catching some really nice Crappie and redears at Nimi and Portage Lakes for about a month. Have seen pics.

quackpot

• View Profile
I fish Indian and it's been hit or miss. Some days you can't buy a bite. I caught a few saugeye but nothing giant, 16"-20" nice eating size. My friend that has a bait shop has put on two crappie tournaments. Last week the big fish was 1.14 pounds and the five fish was a little over 6 pounds.

Saw guy

• View Profile

G.M.T

• View Profile
I wish I could head to Erie! The only problem is I don't have a boat that can handle Erie, Neither do any of my friends. Plus my friends crazy fiancé will accuse us of being at the bar, picking up women, doing Moron, or something even if we were to come home with a coolor full of fish. lol I think I'm just gonna head out to Westbranch. I have only been there once, and would like to get to know the lake better.

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Went to the Maumee with Nate and Roger the 7th-9th. Not a fish caught. Hit Erie for the jig bite today and between the 3 of us (Not Nate) we caught about 25 eyes. I got the two big one at 25 and 27 inches. Will probably hit Nimi in the next couple days. Although I should be resting as I got 12 stitches in my back yesterday afternoon but of course I won't.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I've been out quite a bit but the last couple weeks have not been kind. I was killing them Jan-Mar every time I went out. April gets here and I start struggling. Last trip out was last night at indian. Fished 4 to 930. Caught 3 eyes. 1 keeper. Was gonna hit the jig bite at erie this weekend but the E winds up there fri are prob gonna keep me around home. Prob hit rocky fork or something instead. Supposed to be a great day down here. 70s and light winds!  Didn't know that happened in Ohio. Lol. I'll post how I do. Maybe erie next weekend.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Yea I couldn't join evinrude cuz I had to work!!! If work hadn't been a priority there would not have been any fish left for evinrude to catch. The Maumee trip was a bust but weather was nice, next year I will search for a better more knowledgeable guide.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Nate that guide was smart and good looking, not his fault he had clients that didn't know how to catch fish. Lol. Hard to catch fish when it takes 2 oz of weight to touch the bottom and then you only have 10 seconds a drift to try and catch a fish.
 Guy who's boat I went on Wednesday suggested using smaller jigging movements, so we were moving our rod tips a foot or less. The two biggest that I caught were 25 and 27 inches and both were caught just dragging my jig on the bottom. I had always heard to use big jigging movements on Erie, he showed me that wasn't always the case.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:44:25 PM by Evinrude58 »

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Well against my better judgement I let myself be talked into going to Erie with a NE wind forecast 10 to 15 today. Drove 3 hours and was blowing 10 plus at dawn with 1 to 3 footers. Headed out and within a few hours was blowing at least 15 with gusts prob over 20. 3 to 5s. It was fishable but pretty rough for the 17.5 ft pro v tracker. Tried one drift in close with only 1 fish so we headed to locust reef with the pack. Water was a little cleaner but still murky. Picked up 5 on the first 2 drifts. Waypointed both ends and kept doing it but the bite died off. I ended up catching 7. One 23 incher and the rest 15 to 19. Good eaters but not much meat to bring home only keeping 4. My buddy managed to get a couple. Off the water by 1. Was his first time jigging and even being on Erie in any kind of weather. Not sure he liked it. Lol. We were gonna stay up and fish tomorrow but he was ready to leave so we came home. 15 hours door to door. Long day but still had fun. Most fish came on 3/4 jd greene hair jig tipped with shiner. And like evinrude said, barely lifting the jig and banging it on the bottom. I'm going to bed. ..
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:05:17 PM by 30inthabucket »

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
i hear ya , almost went up myself but just didnt feel like bucking the wind in my 17 ftr, ..but you guys did good , its alot better when the wind is slow , i have a hard time keeping in touch with bott when its rough. stay in close . dont be discourged erie is just  erie..
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes it is. But don't give up on it!!  That lake rocks, I find anymore if I don't have time to go to Erie I don't go anywhere!  It spoils you!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
consider me spoiled    ;D  headed up soon , love that jig bite  ..but have been hittin up the steel in the rivers just for somin to do   right ?   but now its on,  the women and i just finished off the last pack of perch  :P     erie is a fantastic fishery ...  not the ocean but what the hell
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar