Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Pro-view Ice ducer questions

MW-Fishing

• View Profile
I just recently purchased a pro-view ice transducer for my Vex Fl-18 model and i'm starting to get second thoughts on it. Does anyone use a Pro-view in shallow water (10ft or less) and how good of a job does it do marking fish? From everything I've been reading it just sounds like a glorified 9 degree transducer. That kind of concerns me considering most of the fishing I do around central Ohio is shallow lakes and ponds. Anyways, I know there's a few guys on here that have the FLX 28 that comes with the Pro-view standard and I'm just wondering what has been your experience with it thus far?
Thanks, John

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
The pro view ducer changes cone angle depending on gain setting.  The higher the gain the smaller the cone. It adjusts from 24 to 9 degrees. I love mine, it does fantastic on Nimi in the shallow flats and bays. But my flx-28 has a weed mode, so I don't know how much that helps things. But I think you'll be very pleased with that transducer. In super shallow water your gain will be turned down which will result in a greater cone angle, therefore more water coverage.  The best thing to do is if you can play with it from a dock or boat during soft water to get familiar with it. That's what I did with my 28.  Used it for Crappie's from my jon boat and knew immediately it was a great unit.  Hope this helps.  Any more questions, let me know. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

MW-Fishing

• View Profile
Thank Slabslayer for your input. I value your words and I plan on keeping the pro ducer. I've been doing a lot of reading on the the net and sometimes it's hard to gauge a product with very little reviews. The Tom Zanco videos are very informative too but their isn't a whole lot of videos of the actual ducer out in the field. Anyways, I can't to wait to get to the docks this November to test it out!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
No problem.  I think you'll be really happy with its performance once you get used to it!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar