Ice Fish Ohio Forum

New guy

Ketchum · 17 · 12993

Ketchum

• View Profile
Kinda new to the forum and ice fishing as well. Last year was my 1st season on the ice. Only fished a few ponds with cheap Wal-Mart special ice combo and hand auger to try it out. Now I'm hooked and looking forward to this year's season as I'm in the process of upgrading and accumulating better equipment. I've recently purchased eagle claw inline reel with a frabill bro series quick tip, couple tip-ups, ice chisel,and a vexilar. Possibly a cheaper shanty and sled in the near future and im sure few more rods n reels lol. Hopefully this season I can get out on some lakes and res to fish with the big boys  :) I live kinda in the middle of new london,Willard and Shelby res. I plan on hitting these and charles mill and clearfork this season. I'll probably be asking a few dumb questions on here but I won't be trolling for your secret spots. Maybe some bait and tackle opinions with some ice reports. Thanks in advance for any and all help

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome!  We’ll help however we can.  I’m not that familiar with that area but know some are and can help you out!  Glad you found us!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Welcome to the nut house ;D I was in your shoes a few years ago. Now I'm an ice junkie with enough gear for 3 guys. Haven't fished your area but when the site starts getting some more action with the cooler weather you should be able to find some help. Be safe out there

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Welcome my fellow iceman! You have stumbled across one great forum. Enjoy all it has to offer and try to join us at some of the events held each season.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Judging by what you have already collected gear wise sounds like it is too late to tell you to runaway. So welcome to the insanity! Maybe you can join us at the Alum dock tourneys a couple times. You could pick our brains and have some fun while doing it.

Ketchum

• View Profile
Thanks guys, and yep it's way to late for me to turn back now I'm addicted. Lately most of my free time is consumed by trying to retain the wealth of knowledge from this site and online. Reveiws,tips tricks ect ect. I have alot of friends that i hunt and fish with but none that ice fish.kinda goin at it alone. Most think im crazy but I can't wait for some ice!!! 

Green Pea

• View Profile
Welcome to the forum. Getting the ice bug is real. At least for me it was. I enjoy fishing throughout the year but nothing compares to ice fishing. When the reports start coming in from around the forum that first ice has started to form it's like Christmas as a kid all over again.

If I can offer any piece of advice it would be to save up and buy a floating ice suite. I'm always safe and always check my way out but there is nothing that compares to having that extra piece of mind knowing if things go wrong you have help all around you.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
If I can offer any piece of advice it would be to save up and buy a floating ice suite. I'm always safe and always check my way out but there is nothing that compares to having that extra piece of mind knowing if things go wrong you have help all around you.

X2. Been thru twice without the suit and I can tell you how much more I relax and enjoy my trips with it. I still spud my way around and have my picks and whistle but the suit gives me added peace of mind!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Downthehole

• View Profile
Welcome! I'm only 3 years in and folks give great advice here.....great group of guys!
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

Ketchum

• View Profile
Green Pea....a float suit is deff on my list!!! I've been looking at them but havent decided which yet. Striker was nice I saw but frabill was cheap lol I just ordered a shappell fx100 should be here next week. Everything I've read up on them sounds like it'll be perfect for my style fishing and the price. I can deal with what cons I have read about. Light weight,portable, enough room for my gear. Spent all last winter hole hopping on a bucket packing what gear i did have. I wont know how to act having it all in a sled and a shelter to flop over on those cold windy days.

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Ketchum maybe we can meet on the ice. I fish Clear Fork, Charles Mill and Pleasant Hill. I also fish Lake Erie when it freezes. Can’t wait to get on the hard water.
turkey09

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Kinda new to the forum and ice fishing as well. Last year was my 1st season on the ice. Only fished a few ponds with cheap Wal-Mart special ice combo and hand auger to try it out. Now I'm hooked and looking forward to this year's season as I'm in the process of upgrading and accumulating better equipment. I've recently purchased eagle claw inline reel with a frabill bro series quick tip, couple tip-ups, ice chisel,and a vexilar. Possibly a cheaper shanty and sled in the near future and im sure few more rods n reels lol. Hopefully this season I can get out on some lakes and res to fish with the big boys  :) I live kinda in the middle of new london,Willard and Shelby res. I plan on hitting these and charles mill and clearfork this season. I'll probably be asking a few dumb questions on here but I won't be trolling for your secret spots. Maybe some bait and tackle opinions with some ice reports. Thanks in advance for any and all help

Welcome to the site. Both Willard and London are great res'es. Use to slam big jumbos in Willard with an occasional eye. Be careful on those especially willard, they usually draw it down often in the winter and I've seen 3ft of air between the ice and water, gives ya a really errie feeling which I didn't like at all. That being said it's been quite a few years since I fished them. Are the jumbo perch still in there?

Ketchum

• View Profile
Turkey09....id deff be game to tag along sometime. You could prolly teach me a few things more than Utube lol.  Time is gonna be my crushers. I'll be outta state until new years and I just bought another house and will be moving when we get back. I still plan on getting out as much as possible but mid or end January I'll have plenty of time. I work in Shelby and get off 230pm.
Strongpersuader... they still have decent perch and eyes in Willard. Nothing spectacular but they are still in there. I mainly catfish that place in t the summer but that's just me.

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Ketchum just hit me up on here when you have time. And hopefully we will have safe ice.
turkey09

Vexilar