Ice Fish Ohio Forum

What's your favorite breading for frying up some fish?

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
     I'm going to assume that we've all fried a bunch of fish. I for one, employ a variety of different batters and seasonings. It all depends on the people I'm cooking for, and what type of fish I've got. My two mainstays are seasoned cornmeal for catfish and beer batter for walleye. Beyond these, I'm pretty flexible.

My question is simple. What is your favorite? I don't mean an itemized list of your favorites for every fish you catch. I mean your favorite. Assuming that all you have is a fryer and some oil. What would you bread with, and what fish would you use?

This summer on a fishing trip I had to come up with a shore lunch for 17. The nearest town, Havelock, Ontario was an hour south. On a trip to town the second day, there were three things on my list. Rapalas, beer and fish breading. After getting the first two we made our way to a very small grocery store. They had one choice in breading, Rocky Madsen's Original Fish Crisp. I'd seen it at Cabela's before, but it wasn't Drake's or Andy's so I had seen no reason to buy it.

The next day, dinner was as silent as a church. 17 people obliterated 12 pounds of perch and sunfish. I might never have a better fry than I had that day.

From now on, for me, it's Rocky Madsen's Original on panfish.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

g

• View Profile
I pretty much only eat perch and walleye. My breading is simple, flour, crushed saltine crackers and Bay seasoning. I use about half the amount of flour in crackers. It's a nice light breading doesn't mask the fish flavor.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Mine would be walleye and I like the shore lunch brand Cajun flavor. Have to dilute it with some seasoned flour if the wife and daughter are eating because it's a little spicy but I love the flavor. I've also started blackening a lot of walleye and saugeye on the cast iron skillet on the grill. It's delicious and a little healthier. But fried has always been my favorite.

eyeshunter

• View Profile
My go to is nothing fancy, but requires these specific ingredients McKormick’s Beer Batter and Killians Irish Red.  One bottle for one package.  I use it for mainly Walleyes and catfish. Walleyes are by far the best fish to deep fry.

oc

• View Profile
My go to is 50/50 Shore Lunch Original and Shore Lunch Cajun. Just enough heat.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My go to is 50/50 Shore Lunch Original and Shore Lunch Cajun. Just enough heat.

Did you see this Aaron?
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Yep. May give it a try. Got a bag of crappie thawing in the fridge ;D

CFosterI

• View Profile
Shake fillets in gallon bag with some flour. Dip floured fish in egg wash (egg and milk) Then shake in bowl of crushed saltine crackers.

Downthehole

• View Profile
I'm pretty basic when it comes to coatings. I was brought up on fish'n'chips and can't get past a good beer batter on fish. Sprinkle with malt vinegar when it come out the fryer - delish!
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Does it have to be a Newcastle batter?
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety