Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Alum Big Fish pot

Poll

Should we change the way we do the Big Fish Pot?

Stay as is
Crappie and Saugeye excluded

Evinrude58

• View Profile
A couple of us were talking and wondered if maybe we should look at excluding Crappie and Saugeye  from the Big Fish Pot as there are already pots for them. By doing there would be more winners spreading the money around more. I have only been to 5 tourneys but at 4 of those the guy with an eye won that pot and big fish (I was one of them) and at the 5th the Crappie guy won as no eyes were caught. This would give someone who catches only a gill/perch a chance to win. What does everyone think? If the majority think it is a good idea I will bring it up with Dave.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:09:13 PM by Evinrude58 »

Mullygyn

any legal fish. Carp, Saugeye, Catfish, Musky etc. It should all be on the table. IMO

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
With the current structure, any species may be weighed for big fish. It may be won with any species.

The saugeye pot is taken by the largest saugeye, but if the heaviest fish for the day is a catfish, it will take the big fish pot.

Example:

Crappie Pot: 3 fish weighed for 1.58 lbs. Winner- John Keirn
Saugeye Pot: 2.32 lbs. (Only one fish is weighed) Winner- Aaron Lewis
Big Fish: 3.34 lbs. Channel Catfish Winner- Bobby Green
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I haven’t been able to fish there yet, but I would think for big fish pot anything goes! 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
My opinion is the big fish pot should be won by the biggest fish caught no matter what species it is. Wouldn't be fair, in my opinion, if someone caught a 3 lb. saugeye and someone caught a 2 lb. catfish to give the big fish prize to the catfish.

Evinrude58

• View Profile
RatherB I am aware that is currently how it is suppose to work, just have never seen it happen that way.
It is no big deal just an idea I have seen used at other friendly tourneys to make more people winners.
 But since everyone is against it the idea is dropped.

Vexilar