Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Alum 2017/2018

Tanker593

• View Profile
I thought I would stop by at lunch so I can give an update.  I went into the marina area to check on the ice, the lower pool of Alum was mostly ice except for a few spots of water in the middle and around the docks which were mostly open.  The ice was clear but only about 1/2" thick or so in several spots. (This was on the north side of the marina where the kayaks put in next to the parking lot.)   The boat ramp was completely frozen but still only about 1/2" thick.

fishfly2

• View Profile
That's discouraging. Thanks for the update! I thought surely it would be a little further along by now.  :-\

Tanker593

• View Profile
I was too.  The spud bar would bust through with 1-2 hits.  I didn't get a chance to check the upper two pools.  I haven't ice fished on Alum I only have fished there in the summer so I'm not sure if other areas would freeze faster.  I normally head up to Indian for my ice fishing.

buster

• View Profile
The bubblers under the new docks at the marina are working as they planned, totally preventing ice around the docks. It's to bad I liked ice fishing from the docks (besides the fact it is very close to home), guess I'll be making trips to Delaware, Buckeye, or Indian instead.

Hardwater

• View Profile
Was anyone on Alum this weekend?   I know the main lake is probably a no go but curious about the coves?   

Fuzzygrub

• View Profile
I saw three shanties in the New Galena cove Saurday afternoon. I was driving to Cheshire Market to buy bait for a trip to Buckeye on Sunday. Hoping that the main lake is fishable this week. The saugeye bite was great right up to ice, hope to keep it going.

Vexilar