Ice Fish Ohio Forum

crispy wings

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
My favorite method of cooking wings, it's a process but the outcome is great and the wings are very crispy. Here is the recipe, 4 tablespoons of baking powder, 2 tbsp kosher salt, 2 teaspoons black pepper, 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 3 lbs of wings. Mix dry ingredients in large bowl, coat wings and let them rest for at least 1hr, here is the process, I use a dutch oven and my grill, for the oven I use briquettes to heat the oven and my favorite wing sauce ( can't share that recipe) to a slight boil, in the meantime I cook the wings on medium direct heat flipping quite often so they don't stick, when they brown and turn crispy I put them in my dutch oven for 20 minutes covered, then return them to the grill on direct medium heat turning often so the wings won't stick (sugar based sauces burn easily) or burn, do this until the sauce is baked in. This past summer I cooked 50lbs, yes 50lbs of wings on my grill, I started at 11 am and cooked until 6 pm, I kept the wings in the warming drawer of the oven, I cooked 3 different flavors, barbequed, buffalo mild and sweet hot mustard. The baking powder has a chemical reaction to the fat and causes it to become crisp without deep frying.

Vexilar