Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Advice for fishing on Buckeye?

Gregonzola

• View Profile
Hi folks. My sons an I are totally new to ice fishing but we have our auger and are ready to give it a shot this Sunday. Any advice as to where we should go to dig our hole in Buckeye lake? I’ve seen mention of the Cranberry Marsh area. Is the good fishing in the deeper sections south of that? Also, what are the saugeye biting on? I would love to get my son a fish!

Thanks a ton. Looking forward to it!
Greg

Love2fish

• View Profile
Greg - I'll start by saying that I am no expert on saugeye fishing so take this response as knowing that in advance.  I would suggest parking at Fairfield Beach and walking toward the Marsh past the islands.  You will usually see people anywhere between those islands and the marsh.  I would drill some holes, try for 15 minutes, if nothing, keep moving.  I am not sure how old your son is but if he has limited patience, I would suggest fishing 4:00 p.m. to just after dark as that has been my experience as the best time.  I would start with minnows, Vibes, jigging raps.  Note that the bites can be light at times so pay close attention. With the minnows, you should at least be able to catch some small saugeyes and hopefully a few big ones.

Gregonzola

• View Profile
Thank a ton Love2fish. We really just needed a push in the right direction and to figure out where to start so that’s perfect. My son could fish for 23 hours out of every day so the only worry is dad getting cold out there :D

Much obliged!

Vexilar