Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 02:15:50 PM

Author Topic: North fork conditions/bite  (Read 5530 times)

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
North fork conditions/bite
« on: January 11, 2018, 08:02:20 AM »

Wondering if anyone got out last night or this morning? Heard the water muddied up pretty bad. Curious if it hurt the bite. Was gonna try it this afternoon but don't wanna make the drive if it's blown out.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Re: North fork conditions/bite
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »

Personally I wouldn't make the drive, the runoff opened up a large pond near my house and with 60 degree temps, wind and rain, you may get out but you may not get back in. I'm done for a bit, if we get the snow they forcasted, it might be quite some time before I take the trek to the lake. Be safe 30, I was hoping we could hook up on the ice this season, I think I remember who you are

jiggerpro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 01:25:01 PM »

Fished it last night and definitely was starting to stain up.   Did manage to jig a few up, 1 at 5+lbs.  Something about an eye with a 7 inch head through an 8 inch hole keeps me going.   Coming off edges were getting weak, but ice was still very solid under the water/slush in the bay. I suspect edges really soft now at 60 with rain.   Looks like 5 days next week never getting above freezing and low singles at night. That will firm it up and should clear it up if we don't get a bunch more rain. Early in week might be sketchy, but we should be back in action next weekend, at least that is what I am hoping for.   If not, I know I will head to the state up north, to hammer some perch. 

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 08:42:13 PM »

Well I made the drive up but with what I saw and no one on north fork I decided to play it a little safer. Went to a spot without the current and crappie fished. Knew some guys out there already so figured it was safeish. Bite was slow early but picked up as it got later. Managed 20 keepers and also caught my biggest crappie through the ice. 14 3/4 inches and 1.89 lbs. Small tungsten and tail with a spike on my 18 inch spring bobber rod and 2 lb test. So it was worth the trip for sure. The water is very stained and the ice is definitely taking a hit. The top couple inches are about trashed but there's still several (6?) Inches of good clear ice underneath. The edges are the worst. Several inches of water on top. But I only found one spot where my spud went through with 2 really hard shots. And I carry the big heavy ice chisel type spud. Gonna depend on how much rain we get tonight whether or not it gets a lot worse. I think it will make it through but will need a few days to harden back up. And the current areas may be in a lot worse shape. I'll be taking at least a couple days off myself. Get my gear dried out and straightened up.

Downthehole

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:03:33 PM »

Aaron,

Looks like different (better) conditions to those I experienced tonight at Long Island...

Andy

Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

bruce136

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 05:37:46 AM »

HOG!
I think the ice will hold out. The snow on top of the water will become slush and freeze faster. As long as the edges tighten up, we’ll be good for awhile.

g

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 10:55:51 AM »

Great crappie Aaron. With minimal snow cover, the ice should thicken up quickly.
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar