Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Tricks for stopping treble hooks tangling?

Downthehole

• View Profile
Hi All,

Does anyone have any neat tricks for stopping treble hooks on rattle spoons, pimples and vibes getting tangled up with your line when jigging?

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
In all seriousness, when my vibes start tangling all the time I buy a new one. Seems like they're ok when you get them but after awhile and catching a bunch of fish on them something gets goody and they tangle all the time. I've tried a few fixes and haven't had any luck. Don't usually have as many issues with spoons.

toadfish

• View Profile
Don't use soft, braided line.  A mono or flouro works much better for vertical jigging.

Drop your lure a little slower until you find out a drop speed that prevents tangling.  You still need to trigger the bite though.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Downthehole

• View Profile
In all seriousness, when my vibes start tangling all the time I buy a new one. Seems like they're ok when you get them but after awhile and catching a bunch of fish on them something gets goody and they tangle all the time. I've tried a few fixes and haven't had any luck. Don't usually have as many issues with spoons.

Spoons and pimples don’t tangle that much. For me vibes, even when new tangle a lot...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I have issues too. With the type of lure, some tangling will be inevitable, just like crankbaiting for bass.  Using fluorocarbon does help though. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Saw guy

• View Profile
Andy, the vibe is definitely one of my go to lures. I find that when I rip it moving my rod almost parallel to the ice, that happens less. As opposed to flicking the wrist to jig it, and having a little angle movement.  Otherwise, just one of the downsides to an effective lure.

Downthehole

• View Profile
Some really good tips here guys, thanks so much....!

g

• View Profile
I was told by a fellow fishing a saugeye tourney at Indian to put a split ring on your vibes and it will reduce if not eliminate the tangles. One of my  buddies said he tried using split rings and it works. Need to try it too.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I will have to try that
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I use braided line when ice fishing for saugeye, I used to have some issues with the line getting tangled in the hooks but I have since gone with a medium action rod, I used the usual snap up method but I always maintain feel of the bait and when I lower it, I do it slowly controlling the drop with my rod. The big issues with the braided line are,1) line freeze ups and 2) line slipping on the spool. To help prevent ice build up I used reel spray, it helps but doesn't solve the problem in extreme colds, and yes braided line will break, the ice builds up acts like a knife and it does shred the line. Line slippage or what some may think is the drag not working can be solved by adding mono to the spool 1st and then put on about 60-70yrd of braided line, the colder the temps the more braided line slips so when you 1st drop in the hole and find your depth, flip the bail closed and pull on the line to sinch it to the reel, otherwise if you don't, on the 1st hook set you could lose the fish due to a poor hook set. Hope we get ice back on, the flu bug hit me and I couldn't go out the past 2 weeks

Downthehole

• View Profile
I use braided line when ice fishing for saugeye, I used to have some issues with the line getting tangled in the hooks but I have since gone with a medium action rod, I used the usual snap up method but I always maintain feel of the bait and when I lower it, I do it slowly controlling the drop with my rod. The big issues with the braided line are,1) line freeze ups and 2) line slipping on the spool. To help prevent ice build up I used reel spray, it helps but doesn't solve the problem in extreme colds, and yes braided line will break, the ice builds up acts like a knife and it does shred the line. Line slippage or what some may think is the drag not working can be solved by adding mono to the spool 1st and then put on about 60-70yrd of braided line, the colder the temps the more braided line slips so when you 1st drop in the hole and find your depth, flip the bail closed and pull on the line to sinch it to the reel, otherwise if you don't, on the 1st hook set you could lose the fish due to a poor hook set. Hope we get ice back on, the flu bug hit me and I couldn't go out the past 2 weeks

Great tips....hope you are feeling better!

Vexilar