Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Back to the docks it is then....

Downthehole

• View Profile
I’m planning on fishing Alum Creek docks this weekend (probably Saturday). Just a heads up if anyone wants to come along....
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

g

• View Profile
Was thinking the same thing but I will go to Rocky Fork where I can catch some fish. Good luck Andy if you go.

Evinrude58

• View Profile
don't we normally have a pizza party to end the dock tourneys?

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Yep in like March or april
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Downthehole

• View Profile
Fished Alum today (Sunday) due to the weather yesterday. Fished from 6;00-11:00am. The fishing was slow, water was stained but not too bad. We had thick fog most of the morning which made it feel very cold. Marked a few, caught 1 perch and that was it. Josh caught a 15” saugeye. Depending on what this cooldown brings I’m going to go on a night after work next time to see if the fishing is any better.....

g

• View Profile
Fished Rocky Sat. and Sun. Only caught 1 small white bass Sat. and Aaron had a few keeper crappies. Sun. I caught 1 short crappie. Marked more fish Sun. and had a lot of chasers Sun. and missed a few. Glad you and Josh caught a few.

Downthehole

• View Profile
Fished Rocky Sat. and Sun. Only caught 1 small white bass Sat. and Aaron had a few keeper crappies. Sun. I caught 1 short crappie. Marked more fish Sun. and had a lot of chasers Sun. and missed a few. Glad you and Josh caught a few.

Alum hasn’t been the same this year. I think it’s the construction that has changed the patterns of the fish - but that’s pure speculation. I’m used to catching white bass and gills, but none this year. I haven’t even caught a mud puppy (strange for me!). I’ll still support the dock
tourneys as it’s great to see everyone!

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I fished rocky Thursday fri and sat. Been a lot tougher bite than usual there also. Thur I had 7 keepers and 1 big gill. Managed 17 fri but it took most of the day. Caught 5 keepers sat morn. Most of the fish are right on the bottom and not very active. Only a small percentage of the fish would even chase a bait and very few of those would bite. When they did they would barely budge a spring bobber. Had to be on your toes. Only reason I got what I did on fri was I got lucky and found a decent sized school that seemed a little more active. Caught 15 of my keepers in one spot. Had 2 buddies fishing with me and neither caught a keeper. It was fun but ready to get back on the ice. Started my new job today so gotta see what my schedule looks like but I may head to st clair this weekend.

Downthehole

• View Profile

ICE COLD

• View Profile
Drove by ALum docks today and they are wide open while almost the rest of the lake was covered with ice. I didn't test the thickness of the ice was just driving around it. Water had good color.

g

• View Profile
I agree with you Andy, I think the construction has changed the dock fishing. Everywhere is pretty much the same depth with no structure, at least none that I have found. I am shocked and amazed you haven't caught a mud puppy. I do the dock tourneys because it is more of a social event since the fish never seem to bite. Really enjoy the core group that shows up consistently.

Downthehole

• View Profile
I am shocked and amazed you haven't caught a mud puppy.

I miss my pet puppies!

quackpot

• View Profile
Don't worry Andy they will be back in there. I have caught them for many years off those docks.

g

• View Profile
Fished rocy Fork today and the wind was miserable. Marked a lot of chasers and only had 1 bite. Of course the 1 fish I had on wrapped around a dock cable or some other snag and broke my line. Don't mind losing the fish as much as losing my last 3/16 pink obsidian vibe. Looks like a trip to Indian is in the near future to stock bak up on vibes. If ice doesn't come soon, I may order them from Jann/s Netcraft but would rather support the local bait shops.

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Looking at the weather forecast and what the rain is doing to the ice looks like we can start planning the pizza party.

Vexilar