Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 07:52:31 AM

Author Topic: Some surprises this morning....  (Read 3327 times)

Downthehole

• View Profile
Some surprises this morning....
« on: January 25, 2018, 11:10:12 AM »

I’ve been out of town for the last couple of days and expected to return to significant ice melt but that’s not the case. Just looking out of my back porch I see that that a channel that starts to the left of the house (on the opposite side of the island from Froggies) is still locked up. skim ice has quickly formed up to my dock due to a neighbor turning his agitator off. The main ice sheet over the lily pad field has not receded any since I left and further up the point, towards the main lake, the ice is still up to the docks.

I took a drive around the lake, here’s what I saw:

- Long Island 1st pull off - locked, 1 guy out at Pony Island (wow!) - 1st Pic
- Long Island 2nd pull off - locked - 2nd pic
- Long Island 3rd pull off (O’Connors side) - no access lots of open water - 3rd Pic
- Long Island 3rd pull off (Pony Island side) - locked, some open water close to bank
- North Fork - Channel is open
- Longview - open towards mouth
- Moundwood - Open from mouth right back down the channel
- Cranberry - mostly locked - 1 guy out fishing (wow!) - 4th Pic
- Paradise Point - locked

I can’t comment on ice thickness anywhere as I did not check it. There are more exposed lily pad trunks visible and I estimate at least 3” of melt off the top of the ice. We could get another opportunity with the ice holding as it is. 50F is forecasted tomorrow but then the temps fall again.

As ever this is a summary of what I saw and in no way am I stating the ice is safe. Always, check the ice If you go out and use all precautions possible.

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
Re: Some surprises this morning....
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 09:00:59 PM »

great report  thnx    I have been keeping my eye out up that way , never know when the lake will let me on with my boat   ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Re: Some surprises this morning....
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 11:13:45 PM »

Thanks for the report Andy.  Not sure it will happen but I'm hoping it does.  I may take a few personal days if it locks up enough during the week to get out.
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar