Ice Fish Ohio Forum

NE Ohio 1-31-18

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Fished a northeast Ohio lake yesterday had to battle the wind all day! A few times I wondered if my anchors were gonna hold. The bite was excellent caught around 70 crappie 5-11” and a couple bass. Fishing in 10 fow caught most of the fish from the bottom up to 6ft. I caught half on a gold #6 thinwire hook and minnow and the rest jigging a gold pinmin and maggot. Ice thickness was 7” with an inch of frozen slush on top. Visibility 3ft the action was steady most of the day. Kept 12 fish and quit just before dark.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Nice report, glad u got on some fish!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Downthehole

• View Profile
Great catch...looks like you had a good day!
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Thanks guys! I’m looking forward to heading out somewhere again today hopefully the fish are
Hungry!  😎

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Good catch!  Me too. Have to do rear brakes on a utility truck first thing, then it’s off to the ice. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Good catch!  Me too. Have to do rear brakes on a utility truck first thing, then it’s off to the ice. 

Good luck with the brakes I hope they are disc! But you said utility truck so they probably are drum. 😱 Good luck at the lake today hopefully there’s a decent bite going today! 😊

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I bet that wind was a hassle,  I chased my eskimo across moggy one day , now I have a rope I tie to me so my shed doesn't take off...hahaha
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Brakes went great, but with my back still sore I couldn’t lift my shanty in and out of my truck. So the prospect of sitting in the wind on just a Clam chair in 11 degrees with a -5 wind chill just didn’t appeal to me. So I chickened out.  Will be going Sunday or Tuesday. Tomorrow and Monday are booked. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Brakes went great, but with my back still sore I couldn’t lift my shanty in and out of my truck. So the prospect of sitting in the wind on just a Clam chair in 11 degrees with a -5 wind chill just didn’t appeal to me. So I chickened out.  Will be going Sunday or Tuesday. Tomorrow and Monday are booked. 

That sucks! At least the brakes went great!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
IT did. If it wasn’t windy I’d have gone without a shanty in a second.  Aggravated my back still can’t lift my big thermal shanty.  I go back to doc Monday and hope to be released to normal activity, then it’s game on Tuesday!!!!

Team Wilcraft!

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
IT did. If it wasn’t windy I’d have gone without a shanty in a second.  Aggravated my back still can’t lift my big thermal shanty.  I go back to doc Monday and hope to be released to normal activity, then it’s game on Tuesday!!!!

You’d be a bad man out there at 11 degrees without a shack even without the wind!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Last month I was out at -5 without the wind chill and never opened up the shanty. With the floatation suit, cold isn’t too bad. But the wind was just too much with everything else. Mainly the back. And with high wind and no shanty it’s tough to see or feel bites. I never use floats, always hold or deadstick my rods. Today’s conditions with a bad back would’ve been tough because I couldn’t kneel down over the hole with a short rod like I normally would in wind with no shanty.

Team Wilcraft!

quackpot

• View Profile
Slab getting old stinks, I take controlled medication for mine.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It does.  I can feel a big difference from 30. And not sleeping as well with a 13 month old when I’m nearly 40 isn’t helping.  And being a concrete contractor isn’t exactly easy on the body. I don’t know how guys in their late 40’s or 50’s do babies.....

Team Wilcraft!

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
It does.  I can feel a big difference from 30. And not sleeping as well with a 13 month old when I’m nearly 40 isn’t helping.  And being a concrete contractor isn’t exactly easy on the body. I don’t know how guys in their late 40’s or 50’s do babies.....

I’ll be 36 in a couple weeks and I’ve got a 10yo and 2yo. The 2 year old is exhausting like a little savage running around you can’t hardly reason with!😂 He’s fun but exhausting!

Vexilar