Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Soft water panfish rod suggestions.

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Looking for suggestions for a new panfish rod. I’m not looking to buy the most expensive or the cheapest something middle of the road. I’ve owned a few BnM rods and they were fantastic but expensive. I’ve owned a couple Wally marshal slabshakers they weren’t that expensive but didn’t seem very durable. The biggest problem for me is I’m rough on my gear to put it mildly if it can be broken I’ll break it! I’m the guy who steps on his rod getting out of the boat and breaks it. I’m the guy who shuts the rod in the fiberglass cover of my truck and busts the tip off. I’m the guy who trudges through the brambles and brush trips and breaks his rod! I’m the guy who forgets to secure his rod in the boat and drags it on the bottom of the handle from C1 at nimi to the main st ramp nearly grinding off the bottom of the rod! My stuff gets used and abused. I’m once again looking for another panfish rod I’d like something in lite or medium lite. Ultra lite doesn’t suit my needs as I tend to hook up with everything in the water that I’m not after lol. big bass ,catfish ,walleye ect. I’d like at least half a chance at landing them when I get the occasional run it with one while panfishing. I can’t stand to use a stiff rod especially when I’m working plastics or hair jigs. I’m done buying high end rods that I’ll just destroy eventually I’d rather spend more money on better reels as they tend to last much longer than the rods for me. But I break those often as well. Any suggestions for a rod that’s mid range in price and excellent for panfish but tough enough for multiple species would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:35:22 AM by Bobberbucket »

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Well my favorite panfish rods are prob not gonna be available any more since they were made by gander mt. But they are 8 ft ml action. They work great for just about everything. I can cast pretty much any bait a mile. Light enough to fish all day but tough enough to land the big ass carp or cats I always seem to hook into crappie fishing. I've caught lots of eyes and bass on them too. Only time I use a different rod is for dead lining minnows or sometimes I'll get the 10 ft rods out for fishing right in the brush. The closest rods I've found to them are made by bass pro. They have a whole line of crappie rods in all kinds of different lengths and actions. I bought the wife one last year. Hers is a little flimsy for my tastes but I found some others that were decent. Think they ranged from 30 to 60 bucks. And you can get a replacement plan on them for a few bucks. They'll replace it for I think 2 years no matter what you manage to do to them. Hint... even if you buy 2 rods only buy one replacement plan. It's good for either one. Good luck.

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Well my favorite panfish rods are prob not gonna be available any more since they were made by gander mt. But they are 8 ft ml action. They work great for just about everything. I can cast pretty much any bait a mile. Light enough to fish all day but tough enough to land the big ass carp or cats I always seem to hook into crappie fishing. I've caught lots of eyes and bass on them too. Only time I use a different rod is for dead lining minnows or sometimes I'll get the 10 ft rods out for fishing right in the brush. The closest rods I've found to them are made by bass pro. They have a whole line of crappie rods in all kinds of different lengths and actions. I bought the wife one last year. Hers is a little flimsy for my tastes but I found some others that were decent. Think they ranged from 30 to 60 bucks. And you can get a replacement plan on them for a few bucks. They'll replace it for I think 2 years no matter what you manage to do to them. Hint... even if you buy 2 rods only buy one replacement plan. It's good for either one. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply and suggestion!  I’ve never purchased a bps rod but I’ll definitely be going to give them a look I’m almost always targeting crappie when I’m out fishing and like you I tend to hook up with everything else that swimming around. I used to have one of those ML gander rods and I really liked it but it fell victim to my clumsiness. I heard some grander stores were to reopen it would be great if they brought back the rods!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
well bobber you sound like me , I managed to lose or break 6 rods last year, with other stuff . one yanked from the pier at lorain fishing the wall, another trolling rod with dipsey from the boat when runnin across the lake , couple broken from being high sided while anchored , in the boat, rod tips..they call me broken rod on another site for a reason I guess... but back to your query,  I gave in too the ugly sticks for rods other than the trolling rods , and the ones I broke are now short perch rods now..ugly stick buddy   hahahah
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
well bobber you sound like me , I managed to lose or break 6 rods last year, with other stuff . one yanked from the pier at lorain fishing the wall, another trolling rod with dipsey from the boat when runnin across the lake , couple broken from being high sided while anchored , in the boat, rod tips..they call me broken rod on another site for a reason I guess... but back to your query,  I gave in too the ugly sticks for rods other than the trolling rods , and the ones I broke are now short perch rods now..ugly stick buddy   hahahah

At least I’m not the only one with a chronic rod busting issue! :D. Anyone who’s ever fished with me would vouch for the fact that I’m the clumsiest most disorganized fisherman on the face of the earth! Thanks for the suggestion  I’m gonna check out some ugly sticks as well my dad bought one last year as he was just getting back into fishing with me after not fishing for many years I told him for as much as he fished he shouldn’t spend a bunch of money on a rod he would probably only use 4 times in a year. He loves the ugly stick he bought i did care for his much tho it was too short for my liking but he’s Short so it suits him well. I’m leaning towards an 8footer. I had a 10 ft graphite Wally Marshall that thing could sling a jig a mile but nobody in the boat was safe with it in my hands!  ;D

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
If you can ever find one a Mitchell Zero Gravity is my favorite panfish rod. Perfect action but they quit making them a long time ago. If you can find one, they’re golden! 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
ahhhahhah    maybe a long stick

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
I picked up a Mitchell tanager 6.6 ML combo today it feels pretty good. I tossed my waders on and hit a couple spots around portage caught two gills on a black 1/64th jig and 1” black Shad gulp.  Froze my hands off but it felt great to get out and do some casting! Still looking for a couple more new rods. Keep the suggestions coming!

crappieboo420

• View Profile
Sorry buy can't beat the b&M 8 1/2
Lowrance,Grandpa bobs custom jigs,
Budweiser,Eskimo,little atom,custom jig and spin,vmc.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hahaahahah   I have a stick.    cant wait to give my new ugly stik a work out...

Vexilar