Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Local Crappie action

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Hit st marys yesterday. Fished 8 to 630. Wasnt planning on fishing that long. Had 4 keepers at 1 o'clock and was ready to leave but decided to try one more spot. Caught 16 more in the next 2.5 hours all in one brush pile . Bite really picked up once the clouds rolled in. Went back to another spot and started getting a few more. Caught number 29 about 5 o'clock, right when the fish decided to quit biting. Spent the next hour and a half trying to get number 30. Missed 2 and rolled 2 and just couldn't get it done. Got fed up and left 1 short of my limit. Lol. Lots of nice fish. Most were 10 plus and had 5 between 12 and 13 1/2. So overall good day but kinda frustrating. Fighting the wind casting across the channels cost me prob a dozen floats and a couple dozen jigs. Looked like I was decorating Christmas trees. Gonna have to re stock some boxes and re line some poles before I go again. Prob try Thursday if the weather cooperates.

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
That’s a nice pile of crappie!!👍👍 I got rained out on work today your post really has me itching to chase down some slabs! Hopefully I’ll be half as successful today!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
nice catch 30 , sounds like a wounded outing with your gear, kinda like me with all kinds of tackle mishaps.  I know cold water crapps sure are tasty, jam on guys
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Got out yesterday wading with a buddy caught around 50 crappie kept 24 between the two of us. Did lots of sorting tons of shorts mostly males. Top producers were maribou jigs specifically  a white beetlebou. Also got a good amount on 1/64 jig and gulp 1 inch black Shad. I’ll throw a couple pictures up after work when I get time to resize them.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:22:59 AM by Bobberbucket »

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Got out Saturday 3-31-18 did some wading with Erieangler51 & Bprice1301. The bite was tough but we managed to coax a few into biting. Caught fish on white maribou jigs , 1/64 orange jig & 1” black Shad gulp minnows. Also caught a few on live minnows. Had some good laughs all in all it was a good day.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Fished st marys again yesterday. 130-530. Private channel where my buddy has a trailer. Got 20 keepers and prob 15 shorts. Not quite the quality size as last time but it was fun. Ended up giving my fish to a family that just bought the trailer next door. Hopefully they'll remember me and continue to let me fish after my buddy sells his place.  ;D

Vexilar