Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Local Crappie action

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Way to get after them bobber and Aaron. Looks like another chilly weekend to fish. Don't mind the cold myself but it sure plays havoc with the fish most of the time. Still beats sitting at home.
 I love the cold especially when it keeps the local lakes pretty much empty except for a few others with the same hopeless addiction to chaseing that bite! You almost never run into inconsiderate people when it’s cold and nasty.

quackpot

• View Profile
I have been hauling vehicles to the auction for work. All I want is a nap. I’m over 1000 miles since noon Monday.

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
I have been hauling vehicles to the auction for work. All I want is a nap. I’m over 1000 miles since noon Monday.
. Sounds like too much workin not enough fishing! Hope you get time to get out soon!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
that's nice crappys bobber,  shoot at least your out there enjoying the fishing . I was tying up some gear tonight getting ready myself. fish on  lol
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
that's nice crappys bobber,  shoot at least your out there enjoying the fishing . I was tying up some gear tonight getting ready myself. fish on  lol
. When I can’t get out I’m miserable & miserable to be around lol. My wife always says just go chase your fish or critters, mushrooms. Whatever I’m after shes a good woman she understands I cannot stand is being stuck inside! I’m just not wired for it.

You tying up gear for silver bullets?

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Well maybe I shouldn’t have complained so much about the traces of snow yesterday. Now I’m looking out the window at a good dusting  ::)! With cold temperatures and more snow in the forecast ugh. I’ll probably still chase fish somewhere today.... I really should stay home and get my boat ready but I’m waiting on my trailer to be fixed. Haven’t had my boat out once this year. :(  luckily I’ve got a couple good friends that ain’t scared of the cold that have very kindly taken me out in theirs. Maybe I’ll try some wading today or I’ve got a little river tributary spot that never disappoints. Decisions decisions  ;D . Either way I’ve gotta figure out a way to keep my hands warm usually I just use  cheap thin brow gloves from the gas station they work alright till they get wet. I froze my fingers off yesterday it was beyond unpleasant! Anyone have any suggestions for warm gloves that aren’t so thick? Thick ones keep ya warm but they are a pain in the butt to fish with.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:38:23 AM by Bobberbucket »

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Glad you guys are getting them!!  Can’t wait to get out myself and get some of these crappies!  But since work hasn’t allowed it I’ve been making some jigs so I’m ready when it comes!

It’s still early the fun is just beginning! I need to start tying jigs maybe you could show me the ropes sometime.

Anytime!   I like making my own jigs.  Satisfying to catch fish on stuff you made.  Nice haul you got too!!  Way to go!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
ole buddy I'm just the same, I hate being inside, when I'm stuck inside I get cranky and the little women knows it, she s like go fishin or sumin...lol   hey bucket I was tying some steel stuff, there is a short window when I cant get my boat on erie but the rivers will give up some chrome.  usually when the temps stay above freezing at night and the weather cooperates I head for the big pond.. its too cold for shrooms, man this sucks..... my buds work all week and since I'm retired its tough getting out by myself,   and keeping hands warm , ?  to me wearing gloves and fishing don't feel right to me so my fingers get cold, hand warmers  lol   hope ya get your boat up and goin, last season my boat was down for almost a month replacing a stator, fuel pump, ect....and man did that put the hurt on my fishin. hey slab what ya think about small mouth ,?  I'm goin to try for some smallies this year when the eyes and perch are slow, have any fav jigs for them.?  how bout you bobber  ever go afyter smallies. ?  my dud nailed a nice 5lbr in lorain off the light wall one day..  fishin is fun but when I'm cruzin along the lake at 40 mph with the wind and waves and my hat flyin off( I loose hats a lot ) that's the best  .......lets go sometime  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:36:01 AM by snowcone »

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Tried wading this morning but for some reason just felt too cold so didn't stay but 90 minutes. I am in the same situation as you Snowcone. Am retired and the all the people I fish with have to work. Going to look at a boat tomorrow hope it works out so I can get ready for Erie.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
what boat you lookin at

g

• View Profile
Bobber, try wearing a pair of latex gloves under the brown jersey gloves. If your hands don't stay warm, at least they will stay dry.
Hope you find a decent boat Carl. Good luck.

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
ole buddy I'm just the same, I hate being inside, when I'm stuck inside I get cranky and the little women knows it, she s like go fishin or sumin...lol   hey bucket I was tying some steel stuff, there is a short window when I cant get my boat on erie but the rivers will give up some chrome.  usually when the temps stay above freezing at night and the weather cooperates I head for the big pond.. its too cold for shrooms, man this sucks..... my buds work all week and since I'm retired its tough getting out by myself,   and keeping hands warm , ?  to me wearing gloves and fishing don't feel right to me so my fingers get cold, hand warmers  lol   hope ya get your boat up and goin, last season my boat was down for almost a month replacing a stator, fuel pump, ect....and man did that put the hurt on my fishin. hey slab what ya think about small mouth ,?  I'm goin to try for some smallies this year when the eyes and perch are slow, have any fav jigs for them.?  how bout you bobber  ever go afyter smallies. ?  my dud nailed a nice 5lbr in lorain off the light wall one day..  fishin is fun but when I'm cruzin along the lake at 40 mph with the wind and waves and my hat flyin off( I loose hats a lot ) that's the best  .......lets go sometime  
I’ve never fished Erie smallies but I’m game to give it a shot! I have a camper in central Ohio very near some great smallmouth rivers. I get a good amount of smallie action whenI go out down there.

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Fished from 11:30-3:00 it’s was so cold I decided to bring my ice fishing heater I probably looked silly but I don’t care it worked! The fish  were pretty aggressive in the little tributary I fished caught 17 crappie 8-12 inches majority of them were around 10inches. 20 perch and they were some Toads! Biggest was 13.5inches also caught a bunch of ditch pickles  from little 6inchers up to about 3lbs ( LM Bass)  I stopped counting them after 15 they were a nuisance lol.  Got snowed on most of the time but I was sheltered from the winds where I was. All fish were caught on a gold number 6 thin wire hook and minnow under a float fishing 12inches to 4ft deep. I usually try and stay away from live bait but at this location it’s the best option lots of brush in the water in this spot it’s way cheaper to loose the cheap gold hooks than my jigs. My favorite little honey hole lived up to its reputation today. You never know what your gonna hook up with there I had a pike on looked about 20inches the fight wasn’t long before my 4lb broke but it was fun nonetheless! It was a very enjoyable few hours and I good change of pace from all the lake fishing I’ve been doing. All fish were released as I didn’t feel like cleaning any today.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:01:54 PM by Bobberbucket »

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Bobber, try wearing a pair of latex gloves under the brown jersey gloves. If your hands don't stay warm, at least they will stay dry.
Hope you find a decent boat Carl. Good luck.
  I’m gonna try the latex next time for sure! Someone else also recommend I try that as well I think keeping my hands dry would be a big help in keeping them warm.

Vexilar