Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Local Crappie action

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Maybe someday I’ll give the run a shot I’m not much for combat fishing tho. I was gonna go chase crappie today but I got called into work  >:(.  I need a break from this weather so the wife and I decided to book a house in Beaufort SC just a short trip (Friday-Monday) to get a taste of some decent weather. Can’t wait to do some surf fishing I love it! Probably gonna take my crappie rod also just Incase an opportunity presents itself to use it :).

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Got out yesterday for a few hours. Decided to hit the rocky fork docks with ice gear. Got there about 2. Fished til 5. 23 keepers and prob as many gills and shorts. Most fish came on 3mm gold tungsten with an orange tail but I caught a couple on a small vmc orange glow spoon. Fish were in 25 to 28 ft of water but the bigger aggressive crappie were up in the water column. Most were about 10 to 12 ft but I caught a couple as shallow as 6 ft. Bite was good all afternoon but the wind started picking up and the temp started dropping and the action slowed down. I've had some good days lately but I'd love to get a day off with warm temps and light winds. Lol. Ready to get the boat out.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
at least you guys are getting some   heheh
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Got out yesterday for a few hours. Decided to hit the rocky fork docks with ice gear. Got there about 2. Fished til 5. 23 keepers and prob as many gills and shorts. Most fish came on 3mm gold tungsten with an orange tail but I caught a couple on a small vmc orange glow spoon. Fish were in 25 to 28 ft of water but the bigger aggressive crappie were up in the water column. Most were about 10 to 12 ft but I caught a couple as shallow as 6 ft. Bite was good all afternoon but the wind started picking up and the temp started dropping and the action slowed down. I've had some good days lately but I'd love to get a day off with warm temps and light winds. Lol. Ready to get the boat out.
Nice!!! Looks like the bite is way better down your way the cold temperatures and snow have really slowed things around here for me.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Well its been tough trying to get them on open water tackle. That's why I decided to fish from the docks with ice gear. It seems like when the conditions aren't great it helps to be able to put it right on their nose and make em eat it.

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Was out this morning for a couple hours wading. Did find some Crappie in 6-8 fow. Was using a yellow jig with a charteuse curly tail about 3.5 feet down. Cookie cutter 9s caught 17 and one 12 inch Bass.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I'm surprised ya got those with this crummy cold fronts ,  especially when the wind blows my hat off  lol
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Evinrude58

• View Profile

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
I'm surprised ya got those with this crummy cold fronts ,  especially when the wind blows my hat off  lol
Nice!! Good to hear they are starting to get cooperative again!

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Not a crappie but I did catch a decent size stingray surf fishing in SC yesterday. It was a heck of a fight!

g

• View Profile

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Nice . Looks like it would be a fun fight.
It was the 2nd best fight of any sea creature I’ve ever caught! 2nd only to the yellow fin tuna I caught in Mexico years ago. It was way better than the 4 sharks I caught last year at a different SC beach. The fight lasted about 40 mins and drew a fairly decent crowd.

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Got out wading for a few hours yesterday 3-23-18 with Bigeyurk25 couldn’t entice any crappie onto the hook. But we did manage some ok gills and a couple perch. The cold is really making for tough fishing.

g

• View Profile
The cold is definitely putting a hurt on the crappie action. Caught 1 white bass and 1 really beautiful pumpkinseed yesterday. Lost a couple and missed some bites but that's fishing. Wind was brutal again. Can't wait for a calm day to fish, I won't know how to act.

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
We get a few of those days in the 50s going and they will be on fire again!

Vexilar