Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Rescued from the FOG

ice hole 2

• View Profile
My name is Ken.  I was rescued from the ice on Indian Lake Feb 14, 2018.  I sincerely thank, as I did that night, all who participated in my rescue.  The fire department, EMS dispatch and Mike R. of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.  I express personal thanks to the Bellefontsine Sheriff's Office and crew especially dispatcher Amy K. for her professional effort in initiating, organizing and directing my rescue. 
After reading several reports and opinions on the internet, I feel it necessary to respond.  Many erroneous assumptions, incorrect information and misconceptions were drawn to necessitate my rescue.
I parked at the 2nd pull off on Long Island  Dr.  Fished the NW side. 5 1//2in of ice.  Totally safe!  Drizzling rain and FOG rolled in at 5:30pm.  Decided to quit, packed up the ice shelter and leave.  The FOG increased very quickly every minute.  Extremely thick!  Darkness sent in fast and my flashlight was no help.  I couldn't find my exit.  Saw a shallow area that looked familiar.  Stayed close to land.  The ice broke and I went in just above my boots.  Got out with no problem.  Had only a few feet of visibility due to the FOG!  Obviously not the 2nd pull off exit.  Continued searching, compass no help.  I didn't know which direction to try next. However I was safe on top of the ice, not in the water and not nearly close to dying.  Called 911 at 7:30pm  I was simply LOST IN THE FOG!!
Again thanks to all involved however I needed to clarify the real reason necessary for the rescue.  Not falling through the ice or using unsafe ice fishing practices but only the lack of visibility due to the extremely heavy FOG. 
Weather permitting, I will be back year.
My best friends are ice holes.

buster

• View Profile

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I was out that evening also. Ice where we were was deteriorating but still safe. The fog got really bad really fast tho. Luckily I was only 100 yards or so from the truck. Drive home was tricky tho. Anyway glad to hear you were ok. See you on the ice next year.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
wowser  close call is right    good your ok 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

floater99

• View Profile
Glad youre safe smart to stay put and wait for help

Vexilar