Ice Fish Ohio Forum

The Big Lake

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Anybody been getting out? Will still be a couple weeks till I get my boat back. I am suffering withdrawl to get on Erie.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
man I hear ya, finally got my ride ready. I have feelers all over up there and if ya can get out there are fish to be had. I'm hearing around vermillion 12 ft , dirty water is clearing up . from what I can gather jigging w mins is workin  and trolling is getting there. fish are stacked up but getting them to go we need warmth  ...  huron around the dump, up around the isles, even st anthonys fish are stacked out there. this week end should be a rumble   lol  good luck 58  see ya out there soon I hope   I'm headed to vermillion or huron this week end   I hope   those rascals are in close .  the minnows are finally showing up , bud of mine got a shot load the other day at vermillion ramp.. 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

g

• View Profile
Good luck snowcone. Got my boat ready too and am coming up at least for the weekend. Will more than likely jig around Kellys.
Sorry to hear you won't get your boat back for a couple weeks Carl. What boat did you end up buying/

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Ended up with a 18.5 foot Bayliner open bow with a 125hp. Once I get it back then need to add on the trolling motor, radio and fish finder. Then will be ready to go.

g

• View Profile

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
you guys save some fish for us    finally headed up this weekend , hey 58  I had a bayliner back in the day I like those boats..   well see ya guys up there   lol
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Boat is back and have installed rod holders, vhf radio, antenna, fish finder and trolling motor. Took it on a shake down last Friday. Things went a bit rough. Gear shift broke so had to use trolling motor back to ramp. Loading boat without power loading sucked. Then my SUV wouldn't start so was broke down on the ramp. Luckily someone was there to give me a jump. Got home to drop off gear as I was taking boat to the shop. Forgot and turned off engine, Luckily I left my wife room to get out of drive so I could get another jump start. While off loading gear slipped off fender bruising my leg and putting a nice 5 inch gash in my leg. Went to boat shop they fixed gear shift in 10 minutes screw holding lever in place had stripped out. Took boat home and then headed to Auto Zone for new battery for my SUV. Took the guys about an hour to just get the old battery out as some idiot had over tightened the cables then about 25 minutes to get them tight enough to work. Have to replace the negative cable in the morning. Still I caught a couple fish so day wasn't all bad. Went back out Saturday and everything went good and fishing was great. If weather is good next week like it shows will be taking two grandsons to camp at East Harbor State Park and do some fishing on Erie.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:24:38 PM by Evinrude58 »

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Glad everything ended up working out and you’re all set now!  I need to make a trip up there as well.   
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
Sorry you have my kind of luck Carl. Was up 2 weeks ago and got the boat ready to go, hit the key before leaving the campground and nothing. Just bought 1 new battery this year so I pulled it out and charged it, wasn't very low. Installed battery, turned key and nothing. Turned out to be the dual battery switch was bad. Hooked up battery direct and no problem.
Good luck this weekend, maybe I will see you there. I plan on starting around American Eagle Shoal buoy.

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Leaving around 11am for East Harbor State Park with 2 of my grandsons for a couple days of camping and fishing. Hopefully inexperienced me can put them on some eyes.

Vexilar