Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Wilcraft going out tomorrow

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Will be heading to campground bay tomorrow morning around first light and fishing through the morning at least with the Wilcraft.  There are a few guys out there now on 2” so use caution if you venture out there!  I’m NOT endorsing that ice as safe, if you go use EXTREME CAUTION, but some had wanted me to let them know when I’ll be out with my machine.  Anyone who wants to check it out is welcome. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile

Hope your maiden voyage is fruitful. Have fun and enjoy yourself. Good luck and please post how it goes.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Will do and thanks!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
joel  i know that rascal floats but if the ice is thin and ya bust thru how does it climb out ? 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It has studded tires and chains.  And both axles are independent on hydraulics.  They can be raised and lowered.  It’s self extracting.  Tom, the manufacturer said it takes about 30 minutes to get out the first time you break thru and about 30 seconds after you do it a couple times.   

Team Wilcraft!

g

• View Profile
Sounds like it might be a good idea to break through a few times to learn how to extract yourself. Would like to watch that.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I would like to try it too, but with another person with me tomorrow it might be difficult to learn the process with the extra weight. 

Team Wilcraft!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Slow start because of the ice here.  Going but will be later than planned. 

Team Wilcraft!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Did get up there but didn’t fish.  Spent the morning breaking through and getting unstuck.  I stayed well away from where everyone was fishing.  But that ice is JUNK!!!  All white and soft.  A handful of guys at the campground, but the ice is 2” tops everywhere we went. I fish extremely thin ice, but would not take my 200 pounds out there.  Way too dangerous!!!   If anyone was out there hope you made it off safely and that I stayed far enough away from everyone so as not to make people po’d   

Team Wilcraft!

g

• View Profile
Sorry to hear you didn't get to fish and the ice was junk. Hope the "brave" people out fishing made it back safely. Was it easy to get yourself back on the ice? More snow coming my way tomorrow and the weekend then frigid temps. Too bad its not the other way around.

Evinrude58

• View Profile
I was there today showed up as you were packing up. I measured in 7 spots and ice was right at 3 inches. There was a guy out there that admitted he was 300 lbs. Caught 4 FO gills. Every year first time I hit the campground bay ice fishing I catch FO gills and then the rest of the season dinks.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yeah it wasn’t good.  I feel bad about opening up those holes.  But I put in at the campground ramp and made it all the way around the point into the bay near the island before I went in.  Figured incorrectly if I got into the bay I’d be ok.  But where I went in there were no holes drummed there yet.  I tried to stay well away from the fishermen. 

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
my friend thats pretty cool,   ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

z400wolverine

• View Profile

quackpot

• View Profile
Wolverine send me a message with your contact info and I will add you to the list. I’m the one who helped Joel out. If they get another used model I won’t post it I will only go by the people I have on my list. I will be contacting him the first of next week to see what he has.

Vexilar