Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:17:36 PM

Author Topic: Thickness update??  (Read 4582 times)

Dinkslayer37

• View Profile
Thickness update??
« on: January 16, 2019, 01:54:13 PM »

Anyone been by the lake recently to see what the thickness is looking like?

Anyone seen anybody out anywhere?

Thinking about heading up in the morning.

Thanks for any info !

Tight Lines

Tanker593

• View Profile
Re: Thickness update??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 07:58:56 AM »

I was going to try to head up Monday morning but I haven't seen anything.  I might try and call Lakeside to get their 2 cents

NoHaHa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 01:23:33 PM »

Anyone out today that can give an update on thickness?

Thanks!

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 04:06:40 PM »

I’m going to try and get over there tomorrow, just not going to get too excited about actually getting on the ice, that rain and runoff killed the ice but on a positive note, Grand Lake St. Mary’s was locked up today after work, I didn’t have any gear with me so I couldn’t get an accurate or safe ice report

Tanker593

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 06:56:16 PM »

I drove around the South and west side of the lake.  Looked like everything was locked up.  Went over to Blackhawk and there was all ice and 4 trucks parked right at the boat ramp so assumed a couple of guys were out.  Stopped in at Lakeside and they said they were busy today.  Blackhawk and the side of Long Island may be away from North Fork may be good starting places.  There was still some flowing water on the creeks around the lake so be careful where those inlets are. I was in a hurry to get to the camper before dark so I didn't get to check thickness. Of course spud as you go.  I'll be somewhere on the ice in the morning.

NoHaHa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 07:15:36 PM »

Thanks guys, I think I'm heading up from Delaware then. See you there.

fshman_165

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 07:29:54 PM »

the Ice thickness varies quite a bit. My channel has 7 to 8 inches.... with sketchy edges. I have a 2x10 as a walkway to get to the better ice. There were a lot of snow covered spots in other areas with pretty crappy ice before the rain so be careful. Fishing has been ok and a mixed bag of perch, crappies and Saugeye. I can’t give exact thicknesses in other areas because I have not had to travel more than 50 feet from the shore of my property :) :)

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 08:37:05 PM »

Pm me your address fshman. I'm tired of walking all over indian. Lol.
Anyhow, I was out today. Guys fishing all 3 pull offs on long island. I went out on the 3rd pull off on the right hand side and the ice was fine. Edges were solid and there was 5+ inches in the 3 places I checked. Other places aren't so good. 2 of my favorite spots were absolute garbage on the edge. Couldn't fish one and had to walk out on a dock to get on the other. 6 inches once you got away from the bank. No one on north fork. Moundwood had open water where there was 6 inches on tue. So a spud is def still needed but you can fish if you use caution. I'd stay away from any current areas for at least another couple days. Fishing was decent. Ended up with about a dozen keeper gills and crappie. Be back out sun
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar