Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Indian lake parking

ICE COLD

• View Profile
I fished Blackhawk last Saturday without a problem. I want to fish Long Island Friday but I'm getting reports that people are getting ticketed for parking near the bridge on both sides of the road. I know this has been beaten to death just trying to avoid a ticket. The guy working at pro bass shop said he heard people were getting towed at Long Island. Any new information? Thanks.

fishwendel2

• View Profile
I fished Blackhawk last Saturday without a problem. I want to fish Long Island Friday but I'm getting reports that people are getting ticketed for parking near the bridge on both sides of the road. I know this has been beaten to death just trying to avoid a ticket. The guy working at pro bass shop said he heard people were getting towed at Long Island. Any new information? Thanks.
Was there Sunday and parked along side the road with no issues.  There is NO parking at the turn around/former parking lot that is posted No Trespassing.

g

• View Profile
I was going to fish Northfork Sun. and usually park on Lake Breeze Dr. Pulled down to the end of the road to park and a snowplow driver said a homeowner called the sheriff to have the 2 trucks parked there towed. I waited and talked to the sheriff about the parking situation. Since there is a sign posted for no parking for snow removal, you can't park there f there is snow on the ground. Even though the road had already been plowed, if you parked on the road, you would be towed. If no snow,OK to park there. Where people park in front of the horizontal telephone poles is legal as long as your tires don't touch the road. At Long Island, the sheriff said you can park on park property as long as your tires don't touch the road but on the South side of the road by the bridge is private property(not exactly sure where) and the guy won't give you a warning, he'll just have your vehicle towed. As long as yyou park completely off the road onpark property, you will not get towed.

byg

• View Profile
Man, I have been really wanting to fish Indian, but not knowing the lake that well(parking) has kept me from doing it, really been a bummer. I hate to drive the hour and  get towed.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Sadly I’ve said this a million times, we are our worst enemy when it comes to parking and lack of respect for the land owners. I’ve seen and picked up so much trash along the road that we have left, from propane tanks, McDonald’s trash, beer cans to pop cans, broken buckets and broke down chairs, we’ve blocked people’s drives and have prohibited mail from being delivered because we’ve parked in from of their mailbox, we’ve left shit , yes human shit in a bucket on a guys property because he called the sheriff for blocking his drive, we don’t give the state a chance to plow the roads because we gotta be there before sunrise. It’s only going to get worse as the sport becomes even more popular, and we have to honest with ourselves, what would do if you were woke up at 5 am by a group of people making all kinds of racket, getting your dog to bark, waking up your kids , blocking your drive or just making it hard to drive down the road, then they cross over your yard to fish out your back door.... I’m just about giving up on Indian Lake and starting to fish in other areas. Within 5 years all we’ll have is Blackhawk and moundwood, unless you know someone or start riding a four wheeler.......

byg

• View Profile
well I will get my chance, scored parking at a residence.. wish me luck

g

• View Profile
Lucked out yesterday at North Fork. I try and park on Lake Breeze but all spots taken. Didn't want to park at the end of the road with snow on the road and a sign stating no parking for snow removal since sheriff told me last week I could be towed with sow on the road even if it had already been plowed. A lady stepped out of her house ad asked me if I was looking for a place to park and let me park in her side gravel driveway.  When I finished fishing, she and her husband came out and asked me about the fishing and asked me if I needed to come inside to warm up. They told me I was welcome to park there anytime. Super nice people. I will get them some kind of gift card for there generosity and kindness. Only caught 1 short saugeye and didn't mark many fish. Fished in 4 1/2 to 5 1'2 feet of water.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
That’s how it’s done!   Great job g!  Good community relations happen when us ice fishermen are respectful and courteous. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

ice hole 2

• View Profile
Just wondering? About the problem with parking at Long Island-North Fork  area -by the bridge. We have all had this problem and beaten it to death! But what is the problem? THE LAND IS PRIVATE! It could/should be public. What if? The ODNR,state, county or whoever bought the property- both sides of the road- and made it a public access area for the lake. Make it a public parking lot with maybe a small boat launch site.ADVANTAGES- For ice fishing- no need to park on edge of the road-no tickets due to snow removal regulations and no tickets or tows due to illegal parking on private land. I don't know why the residence owners would not be willing to sell.(No more tow truck calling and other problems they have to put up with) Could be a solution for us ice guys! On 29 Jan 2016, I spoke with the game warden of Logan county-Adam Smith. We spoke very briefly about this while he was parked in the area on duty doing his job.No conclusions reached! He mentioned the idea during our conversation. How do we get this going?What steps need to taken for this solution? Someone who may have contacts with appropriate people could step up and investigate. Thoughts anyone? As always, clean up your area when finished ice fishing and take your crap with you!
My best friends are ice holes.

Vexilar