Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:14:34 PM

Author Topic: February 2  (Read 6941 times)

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
February 2
« on: February 01, 2019, 02:17:02 PM »

To say it was a tough shitty day is putting it nicely. My plans were to hit north fork this morning but with all the snow I decided to hit moundwood, I got there at 5 am ish, drilled 5-10 holes as close to the pressure crack as I could, never marked a fish, left there around 8 ish and went to Blackhawk, 2 guys were cutting through the pads to head to Lucy’s  and they were the first to cut a path, I wasn’t  going to attempt to pull my sled in the fresh snow that far, so I pussed out and stayed near the boat ramp, drilled a gazillion holes and never marked a fish, btw , there were several guys who got worn out trying to get to Lucy’s , packed up around lunch time and went to LI/ NF , I glassed a few guys who were sitting outside and it didn’t look like they were in tune with a bite , so I called it a day, tomorrow or today I should say, I got my old hand auger out, put some new blades on it , got my old bucket organizer out and will hit the lake tomorrow, the old fashioned way with very little gear..... tight lines all

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Re: February 2
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 02:17:29 PM »

February 1st

Tanker593

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 03:52:05 PM »

Better luck tomorrow for us all.  We got burned last Saturday only pulling 1 gill out after sitting there most of the day.  I'm hoping to hit NF myself tomorrow and have some better luck.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 07:16:56 PM »

yeah bombed out myself the other day     good luck
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

nags

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 08:44:28 PM »

I fished Williams today couple dink perch and a few small crappie pulling shanty  up the hill was not fun at all and fresh snow on ice was like pulling a barge.

quackpot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 06:13:38 AM »

I got a text last night that a new guy to ice got one keeper yesterday and a couple shorts. He texted me and map hoping for some help and I was lucky enough to give him some help. It was his first saugeye through the ice and was really excited. He fished north fork. I’ll have him post better information.

Buzz94111

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 08:42:05 AM »

Hi everyone, its the new guy. Well, ive iced fished a pond for several years, but that gig is over. Now indians my ice home.  First time was last year with my own ideas and zero success.  This year asked for some help, big thanks to 2 members, one helped me make sure i had the right baits, and big thanks to quackpot for helping me get into the right places ive never been b4 on the lake b4. Couple of nice guys for sure.
Finally got to north fork about 1, dont have a fishfinder so i just pretend they are down there the whole time. Moved shop 3 times, noticed on the 3rd move the water clarity was a lot better than it was in the first 2 spots. Hit about a 45 min span were i pulled 3 dinks and one 15, but still my first ever eye thru the ice!!!!! Ice fishing fish taste so good, i cant wait for my lunch today. Only saw 2 other dinks caught, but also saw a couple shantys not move for the whole day. All the fish caught on blue/silver , think it was #2pimple with a minnow head. Sort of let it sit on the bottom and the popped it up about 4 inchs. Not sure if thats the norm but thats what i got to work.  Thx again guys for sharing. 👏👏👏

g

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 04:53:44 PM »

Great job Buzz. I fished North Fork last night. Didn't mark many fish and only caught 1 short fish. It was the only bite I had. I was the 1 fishing close to shore. Glad you were able to catch your first ice eye. Keep it up. When you can afford it, try and buy a depth finder, it is much more fun and it also lets you know if you are on fish.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 09:21:10 AM »

buzz you may be new to this but your doin as good as all us old timers  hahahahah.   i didnt take my garmin out icin this year and man its tough without it.  flyin blind stinks.  that bouncin the bait in the mud and a slow lift is a great method, at least with a fish finder you can see how far the fish will chase bait and if there there..  usually about 3 4 ft  they chase bait before goin back down..  and man ice fish do taste good...  sepecially with shoer lunch   mmmmm
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

jrack5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »

New guy here also. I am coming up this weekend. I am curious to approximately how thick the ice is right now / if it will still be good this weekend with the warmer weather? Thanks!

Jigmup

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 01:58:23 PM »

We are expecting close to 2 inches of rain here along with the warm weather. Also,  they are predicting 15 mph sustained winds along with 20-25 mph gusts. I am due east of Indian Lake. I think she will be unsafe come the weekend but hey, that's why I asked for a set of eyes over there in another thread.

g

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 07:07:54 PM »

There was 6 inches of ice on Paradise today and shore ice was decent. With 2 days of rain coming along with the wind, I figure today will be my last day. Rain and wind will erode the ice quickly. Doesn't look like it will get cold enough to refreeze it. Looks like our ice season in central Ohio may be done for the year.
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar