Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:37:58 AM

Author Topic: Rainy Saturday  (Read 4464 times)

quackpot

• View Profile
Rainy Saturday
« on: February 24, 2019, 09:37:31 PM »

After I made my junk run Saturday morning I drove by Indian to check conditions. I saw one guy out at paradise, he used a plank to get on the ice. I heard there people on the ice at Long Island so I headed home to get the Wilcraft. North fork side was all open but other side had ice. Parked at the first pull off and drove right out on the ice. Ice was four inches of white ice. Ice was getting soft but I felt comfortable in the machine. Fished a couple different spots with no luck. I pulled around the west corner of trash island and popped three holes. Gills started biting before I could get a second line in. I had two keepers 7-8 inches before I got the second line in. Had to sort through the small ones. I quit when the rain got worse. Best Gill was 9 1/4 today when I cleaned them. Hopefully I can get out again but probably won’t be in Ohio.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rainy Saturday
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 05:58:58 AM »

Glad you got at least one more trip in!!  I went visiting friends in Youngstown and saw a lot of open water at Berlin and Milton.  Hoping mosquito held up ok. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »

awesome ya got to take out the wills,  its been such a screwy season im ready for some open water.  i just may have to thaw out perch later to satisfy the fishy itch   lol     only had a few outings this season.  :P  my hats off to you folks that can still hit ice,  i know its sad but already have my ice gear put away and workin on the boat for another kick a$$$  erie season. good luck to everyone stay safe and  fish on  .....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

g

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 06:18:17 PM »

Great job Bobby, way to make use of your wilcraft. Doubt if you can make it out anywhere in Oh. Hope our Northern brothers have ice somewhere to play o, but it looked like the high winds hit all of Oh.
Sorry to hear you put your ice gear away snowcone. I use mine some on Erie off the docks if weather is too bad to get out and use it perch fishing when the conditions are right. Like jigging for eyes with my ice gear too.Where do you usually fish at Erie snowcone? I usually fish around Kellys.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 08:36:56 PM »

g  i have a very short perch rod i use in the boat, its a busted rod i re made. works great..  depending on the weather i start anywhere from huron then lorain,avon,clev,wildwood,painsville, conny.   i havent fished up by the islands but this year i may, i love being 8 to 12 mi out ..but my fuel tank is only 15 gals so range is limited. the jig bite rules .

g

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 06:09:10 PM »

Have only fished East a few times. I have a trailer in Marblehead so I don't go much farther than Cedar Point to the East. Good luck to you this year snowcone. Should be another stellar year.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 03:47:22 PM »

t think it will be a good year  g  most of the time i try to stay within an hour travel of the house,    thinkin of hitting brest  bay this year
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar