Ice Fish Ohio Forum

days are numbered now

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
i was at nimi today for a bit, the edges on north east end are opened and re froze with open water  ducks are having a good time.  had to go to main st and shuffle around the gas well to get on, 2 other guys were there with a few perch .   5 " clear and cracking in a  im melting kinda way  lol  water was really clear and 16 fow  i dropped a jig w magg  and a tungsten jig purple w gulp minn and zip, couldnt beg borrow a hit  but a really nice day on the lake.  lots of warm coming the ice is getting iffy 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

g

• View Profile
I'm afraid you are right snowcone. Unfortunately, I think it will be a short number of days until we won't be able to get on the ice. People were already planking at Indian over the weekend , the edges in some spots were open water. With the weather they are forecasting, the end will be here in short order. Aw moose poop, excuse my language. Hopefully Saginaw Bay will hold on for a few weeks, still want to try and make it up there this season. Be extremely careful if you go, carry your safety gear and fish with a partner. Be careful and good luck if you get out again.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I’m afraid I’m in agreement.   From what I’ve heard firsthand form Snowcone and some other guys on the ice, looks like this is it.  Unfortunately!  Been the worst season for me in a long time.  Very disappointed!!  Knee surgery, sick, work all conspired to make a short season almost nonexistent for me.  Only 5 trips for me this year.   Worst I can ever remember for a season we had ice.  And I know I won’t be out of the house till the weekend and by then I think it’ll be too late.  All I can say is this: at least I got out, drilled a few holes, and got some fish.  Never got skunked, but lots of dinks and only a very few nice ones this year.  Going to make me even more determined and ready for next year!!  Wilcraft will be ready in September!!! 

Any of you going out a last time or 2 PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION AND BE CAREFUL!!!  We want you all back next year!!!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Was out all day Tuesday at Mosquito (Cemetery) with IceBucketJohn and we had 6 plus inches everywhere we drilled. Shore ice was fine. Don't give up quite yet we could still get a cool down again to firm it up.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If mosquito stays good, might make a trip next week!!!   Fingers crossed!!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

g

• View Profile
You are luckier than we are in central Oh. Rain and warm temps have doomed our ice at Indian. I won't risk it but I am sure some people may plank it. Did you do any good at Mosquito?

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
i would be up for a skeeter       but maybe just hit the river for steel this week end if ice stinks  :P
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What survives the weekend might hang around a bit.  Forecast through the first week of March isn’t really bad at all after this weekend. 

Team Wilcraft!

g

• View Profile
Good luck on the steelies if you go snowcone. Hope your ice lasts up north. We are supposed to get 1.5 in. of rain or more with wind gusts to 50. Bye bye ice around here. Have to get the little aluminum boat out soon and hit Indian. Good luck to all. Stay dry and safe.

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Don't think it is quite over but I don't think it will be but a couple weeks max. Even shaved the beard off yesterday.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yeah, looks like we might get a few more days now!  Added bonus on the back end of winter!   

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar