Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 02:42:51 PM

Author Topic: Today  (Read 5083 times)

quackpot

• View Profile
Today
« on: March 02, 2019, 07:20:36 PM »

Heard there was still ice at Indian so I made the trip. Went out at the first pull off at Long Island. There was two guys out when I got there. Drove off and went out past them and popped three holes but didn’t get anything. Made a move out a little farther and popped four holes. Caught two gills biggest being 7.5”. Decided to leave because the ice was bowing down. Ice was 2-3” of white ice. Gotta put the studs back in the tires because it’s slippery.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
Re: Today
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 09:47:20 AM »

haha   at least ya got to fish, im  done around here this weather sure keeps ya on your toes ,  and i bet the butt pucker factor will climb now with this up down temps...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

g

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 01:29:46 PM »

May have to wait until next weekend to measure the pucker factor. With the weather this week, there is a chance we may get on Indian Lake next weekend. Getting tired of Mother Nature teasing us. If we do get ice again, it will be the last ice around here.

quackpot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 05:52:57 PM »

I didn’t have a pucker going but I could have. I didn’t lower the body down so water was coming up all around me. When I left I probably had a half ice of water on top of the ice. It was the closest I’ve ever been to falling in with the Wilcraft.

g

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 07:02:12 PM »

Sounds like another good learning experience. Glad you didn't get wet. See you at the dock tourney next Sun.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 06:15:15 AM »

Falling in isn’t so bad if you’re studs are good and the diff lock works.  Mine crawled right back out.   Takes a little practice the first time, but as long as you put your bucket plugs in good and tight it’s not too bad getting out!  I practiced it on purpose first time out. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

quackpot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 01:18:47 AM »

I really don’t plan on having to try. Until people understand that it is safer than walking I’ll make sure the ice is thick. I don’t want anyone taking a bath because they see me out. I’m sure I would have went in if I wasn’t in it, there was lots of air bubbles in the ice.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 08:02:31 PM »

Smart thinking.  That’s one reason I have been hesitant to go out super thin after my first experience.  I wanted to practice getting out and that was what tom told me to do.  But I didn’t think about the other people safety factor at first.  Good thinking!!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar