Ice Fish Ohio Forum

St Clair

ICE COLD

• View Profile
Four of us went to St Clair over the weekend. We fished at Selfridge. It was slow Friday and Saturday. We ended up with about 15-20 keeper perch, with the biggest around 12.5". Water was a little murky but some places you could still see 6-7 feet. Untipped beaded spoons worked best. I fished a spear hole around 2x3' and could see the perch but we just couldnt get them to bite. I saw at least 4 of them over 14"and one bigger than that. They would come by in schools of 8-10 fish but most would not even look at our baits. We tried minnows, wax worms, vibees, spikes, jigs and tungsten jigs. They just weren't interested. Most of the ones we cleaned had eggs. Did see a few bass with 3 of them over 5 lbs and one easily over 7. I know the watermakes them look bigger but I compensated for that. Surprisingly we didnt see any pike, sturgeon or muskies or many gills. Ice was a good clear hard ice that was over 1' thick everywhere we fished. And we fished at all depths with the best luck around 7-8'. I don't see that ice going anywhere for a week or two. I'm done for the year. Put my ice gear away till next year.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
thats so cool , that makes me nutz when you can see them and the fish just   ignore ya.  i have bounced live minnows on top of trout s  and nothin. ?
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

quackpot

• View Profile
Nice information about your trip. I’m sure it was a blast even if some of them wouldn’t bite.

Vexilar