Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Jaw Jacker

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Last year someone told me the Jaw Jacker is no longer considered a tip up. I seem to remember it was someone from here. Does anyone have any knowledge of the change and if it did change where I can find this info? I have others asking me about this.

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
Normally if I have a question about the laws, I just call the DNR, they're really good with the information and rather have you ask before you go out then have to answer to one of the guys that write the tickets.

toadfish

• View Profile
I am not aware of a change, but here is a link to a past post that david had sent an email to the state asking if they were considered tip-ups.

http://www.icefishohio.com/index.php?topic=8154.msg17752#msg17752

I would check with the wildlife officer in the county where you plan on using them.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

bucknuts

• View Profile
I saw a post last year on FB where someone wrote to DNR and they said NO it is not a tip up because it is basically a spring loaded device.
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Will just keep carrying the letter like I have since we got it.

columbusfire

• View Profile
Lots of ideas on youtube for cheap homemade devices. One uses a mousetrap and one uses a small battery operated motor to ''jig'' the rod up and down automatically! I bought one made in Canada from ''catch on'' that is really simple, compact, and adjustable for $24.00. I got it from Amazon.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I still carry my letter, but haven’t heard either way on the issue since I only Ins 2 rods.   I dead stick one and jig the other.  I haven’t uses tip ups for a while.   
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar