Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice conditions 12/31/09

redcanoe59

• View Profile
I haven't  been out yet but i got info from a fishing buddy of mine who was out on the ice.....there was about 40 people out on the northside of the causeway.  seeing so many people on the ice he ventured out.  He cut his first hole and busted a lot quicker then he thought,  he measured the ice thickness and it was only 2 3/4", but it was good clear solid ice.  he stayed out for about an hour i had a bite on his first drop.  he managed a few smaller crappie.  the guy he was fishing with caught a 13" walleye.  the drove up to the public access north of pikey bay because he saw people fishing up near the bouy line.  they broke through close to the access and turned back.  hopefully the cold snap thats on it's way makes it solid enough to safely go out......no info on the southside.  if one does venture out stay clear of the bridge area of the causeway,  there is a small current that flows there and the ice is always weak there or non exsistant.  last year we had 8" of ice on most of the lake, but there was open water near the bridge. 

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
redcanoe59,

Thanks for the report.

We know when the ice gets going this board will fire up. Keep us posted.

Thanks for your post.

David
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

capt scott

• View Profile
fished the bouy line sunday ice was 4-5inches fished from 930am to 1230 pm. caught three walleye over 15" and nine crappie over 11". fished 6ft ot 7ft of water.most where caught on 1/10th oz gold vingla with a whole minnow.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the report Capt. Scott

Do you have a picture of a vingla? Never heard of that lure but it sounds good.

If not how do you fish it?

David

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

capt scott

• View Profile
its made by swedish pimple. looks just like a pimple but it has wings on th side. they are my go to bait for walleye under the ice. i fish them just like a pimple; jig them a foot or two then a couple of short jigs(4-6inches) then back to a foot or two. mostly depends how the fish react to my actions according to the fish finder(lowrance m-68 icemachine). hope this helps ya!

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
might plan a trip there this year sounds like a decent fishing hole
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the lure description. I will have to pick up a few of them.

Do you use them on Erie for the big walleye's.

David
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

capt scott

• View Profile
ooooooh yea like i said they are my go to lure. i have them in all sizes including 3/4oz. the larger sizes are getting tuff to find but i think fisherman's wharf still has some just ask TIM if you call there.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks I will.

David
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I havent been up there since last Wednesday and Ive been wondering if there is many people on the south side yet. I like to go down by the cemetery as we have caught some nice eyes there in the past.   
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

redcanoe59

• View Profile
i was out on 1/17 sorr about the late post.  we found tons of perch at 9ft on the south side.  we were set up  near the dam on a point i got a lot of perch off of last year.  i've gotten walleye off of it in the spring.  i'm hoping that the perch start growing up according to a buddy of mine the amount of perch in the lake had dramatically increased in the last two to three years, hopefully they can start growing and get to eater size

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Has anybody been doing good by the cemetary or on the North side? Ive been waiting for good reports before I drive back up there.

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
how is the eye fishing there? are the eyes in the lake quality size? sounds like ur perch spot might be a great night eye spot
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I havent done a lot of ice fishing up there but we get some really nice ones in the summer. I talk to some guys that do really well and catch some big ones through the ice down by the cemetary and by the bouy line.

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
is there still good ice? ???
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Vexilar