Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

November 22, 2014, 09:58:13 AM

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Two Man Flip Shanty  (Read 2150 times)
triton189

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2010, 11:40:27 PM »

First Post on this site...! I am looking for a two man flip shanty. Any recommendations on what to get? Please let me know the pros and cons.

SlabJunkie
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 04:46:15 PM »

Depending on where you fish and how much of a drag you'll have, they are considerably harder to drag especially in deep snow/slush. BUT, I would trade mine for anything I love the room you have to fish. i have an older Frabill 2 man flip. it is very similar to the newer Frabill Trekker 2man.

SlabJunkie

Pro Staff
icefishohio.com
firefish532
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:07:10 PM »

Clam Nanook is about 350 and thermal is 400 about 80 to 90 lbs and plenty of room

Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
triton189

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 11:12:38 AM »

I have been looking at the Eskimo Quick Flip II's as they also seem to be very nice units.
davidhoheisel
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 02:05:26 PM »

I have not been in the Eskimo yet. Are you pulling it by hand or with an ATV or Snowmobile?

I have alway's used Clam Products. They have come out with some very nice units. They now have a thermal cover for warmth which in Ohio i am not sure you really need. Ive been out in below zero in the original and it was fine with the heater. They have made some models with a heavy duty sled that is great for ATV and Snowmobiles. If your pulling by hand I would go with the original Tub.

Anyway you go i am sure it will be great. Maybe someone has an Eskimo and can comment.

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs
triton189

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 08:12:29 PM »

David, I will be pulling it by hand. I have heard there are a lot issues with the Clams since they started mfg them in China three years ago. Anyone have a bad experience with one mfg within the last three years?
Banker
Global Moderator

With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 08:29:26 AM »

As you know, mine has kept me happy. I bought it in 2008 and am looking to buy the same model (Clam 2000) this year again.

Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."
wballard77
PRO STAFF

Wes Ballard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 04:33:45 PM »

As you know, mine has kept me happy. I bought it in 2008 and am looking to buy the same model (Clam 2000) this year again.

Sorry to butt in, but do you really need a new one after 2-3 years? I too was thinking of a Clam but now rethinking

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Banker
Global Moderator

With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 04:39:02 PM »

Clam does make a quality product, so I am sorry if this post scared you off.  My shanty is in great condition. I was on the fence about even selling it. Here is the skinny on why I am selling. For the last 2 seasons I have smoked cigars. Nice ones at that and after last season gave up smoking. I like the smell of cigars, but since i can't have them anymore, would rather fish in a shanty that doesn't smell like them.

Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."
wballard77
PRO STAFF

Wes Ballard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »

OK that sounds a lot better i was scared for a minute thanks. I am thinking of a new 2 man flip and not sure which one to buy. i currently have a 1 man pak shack,  and after sliding 100 yards in the wind last year I think i need a bigger one.

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
pig puncher
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »

hey banker, i had a tom cat spray mine. guess next time i'm at the bait shop, i'll grab a couple swishers. that'll make a big difference!
Optfish

Trout from Antrim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 08:05:02 PM »

Just purchased Clam Nanook at Cabela's $300. saw at Gander Mtn. same price.  Looking forward to it but also have a Question on if i should by the runners for it.  what does any one say about them yea or ney?
Rick
davidhoheisel
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 10:38:56 AM »

As far as quality goes i think they have really fixed any problems that they have had. They have increased the tub strenth and added a lot of quality additions to them. I would be suprised to hear of any quality control problems now.

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs
Fishin 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 05:54:10 PM »

As far as quality goes i think they have really fixed any problems that they have had. They have increased the tub strenth and added a lot of quality additions to them. I would be suprised to hear of any quality control problems now.

I have a fish trap pro and a trap guide. The runners are 50 bucks, a set of ski's are 2 bucks or free at goodwill. I pull mine with an atv or by hand, It glides and the ski's won't wear out. Mike   ps, if your close to Bucyrus, I'll give ya a set of ski's, got a few !!! Grin

Take a Kid Fishing, You'll need the help Carrying Fish  !!
let it freeze

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 09:13:22 AM »

I love my scout 3yrs old which ever 1 you buy I  suggest that you put runners on it does protect the bottom of your tub
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Vexilar