Ice Fish Ohio Forum

1-13-2011

smith07 · 8 · 12364

smith07

• View Profile
My dad and I went ice fishing at Salt Fork today in "Cabin Bay".  We caught seven channel catfish between us and four dink crappie.  We used minnows and waxies but minnows caught everything.  There was about 5 inches of clear ice below the snow.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:48:39 PM by slabslayer »

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Thanks for the reports Smith07,

I know the lake has some big fish and love to hear about your catches.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

smith07

• View Profile
the guy at Salt Fork Outdoors said that some guy had three saugeyes on that he couldn't even get up out of a 8 inch hole, for what its worth. 

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I believe it, grew up fishing that lake and caught some nice eyes out of there myself. might try to make a trip down this year.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

smith07

• View Profile
how long have they been putting saugeyes in there. I know there used to be some walleye fisherman in the 90's.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I think early 90's but don't hold me to it. We use to catch nice walleyes out of there when I was a kid, there has got to be some left in there.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

falbinki

• View Profile
the guy at Salt Fork Outdoors said that some guy had three saugeyes on that he couldn't even get up out of a 8 inch hole, for what its worth. 
well for what this is worth i can tell you this i have seen my fair share of 12 pounders come through an 8'' hole up on erie so i would highly doubt there is any truth to that story. and come on not only did the guy have 1 but he had 3 that would'nt fit cmonnnnnnn lets be serious.

smith07

• View Profile
i am sure that there is an art to sifting through the information you get a bait stores, it is just one i have not mastered yet

Vexilar