Ice Fish Ohio Forum

hows the fishing at willard

risterles · 20 · 15487

risterles

• View Profile
looking for a report at willard thinking of coming down this weekend . im new to ice fishing just looking for any info

maxfire26

• View Profile
I was just out at Willard yesterday (tuesday the 25th).  Caught 9 or 10 very small perch - threw them back in and 4 keepers (8"-10").  Ice is good,about 8" or 9".  I was using maggots and wax worms - neither one seemed  better than the other.  I was in 28' of water about 250 yards east of the boat ramp.  There were about 15 shantys out throughout the day.  I started at around 7:30 a.m. and finished around 2:00.  Most of my catch was around 11:00 or so.  I usually had better luck by the back pump house but I have not made my way there yet this year.  It is deeper there but more of a pain to get to - you either have to make a long trek from the boat ramp or park off Townline Rd. 12 on the north side and walk up a steep incline.  Good luck and stay safe.  If Lake Erie does not get frozen in by this Sunday I will be back out at Willard.  I am looking forward to catching some eyes out on the big Lake!

risterles

• View Profile

risterles

• View Profile
wondering if you can take atvs on the ice down there

overcheck

• View Profile
Where you from risterles? I live 6 miles from willard and don't fish it much. Never seen atv on the ice most people walk.If you want somewhere to ride your atv go north 30 minutes to
sandusky bay

maxfire26

• View Profile
I fish Willard quite often, never have seen an ATV on the ice and I don't know if it's legal or not.  I would start by calling ODNR and see if they can advise you.  I know that the City had an argument with ODNR because this summer/fall they (ODNR) was using a gas powered boat on the reservoir while doing research and the city did not like it too much.  However, ODNR stocks the reservoir amongst other things and they are the ones that told the city of Willard several years back that they had to allow ice fishing on the reservoir when the city tried to prohibit it.  I have often thought about taking my 4-wheeler there but I have not yet, maybe I will check into it...I will let you know if I do.  The fish are starting to bite at Willard and people are catching bigger size perch so it's looking better and better each day.

maxfire26

• View Profile
Just talked to ODNR...they advised me that it would be controlled by the City and he does not know of any city owned reservoirs that specifically allow ATVS, in other words they don't have it posted No ATVs on the ice.  I know a Willard police officer and will talk to him sometime tomorrow.  The ice there will definitely support an ATV and I would say it is more safe than taking one out on the big lake because there is not as much water flow underneath the ice at a smaller lake and you don't have any cracks etc.  I will keep you posted.  Really, you don't need an ATV at Willard but it would make it easier to move around and get back to the deeper spots which are on the east/northeast sides.

risterles

• View Profile
thanks for the info i called the division of wildlife and he said hes like 99% sure they dont but you would have to call the city of willard.im just gonna go on foot .

risterles

• View Profile
i was also wondering what depth to look for for perch and maybe an eye.

maxfire26

• View Profile
I've never caught a walleye at Willard but I've heard they are there.  I've never seen anybody catch one there on the ice but I have seen someone with one during open water.  As far as depth for perch - I've caught them in 14', 28', and 40'.  In smaller lakes they may not school up as much and might be more territorial rather than swimming the entire lake.  If you look at the map of the reservoir on ODNR website it will give you the depths.  I would suggest getting as deep as you can, but, it may or may not matter.  Last year I caught several limits in the deepest part of the reservoir and this year I went to this same spot twice and didn't catch a thing.  Good luck...let us know how you did.  I'm heading to erie tomorrow to try for some eyes for the first time this year.

overcheck

• View Profile
Hey risterles was wondering how it went at willard today?

maxfire26

• View Profile
A friend of mine got 27 keepers at Willard today.  Said he did not get anything until 1:00 p.m. and that is when someone gave him some red maggots to try and he started nailing them.  The guy that gave him the red maggots said he has only had luck at Willard in the afteroon.  It's on at Willard...I just have to find some colored maggots.  Anyone know where I can get colored maggots besideds online?  Maybe you can just put food coloring in with white ones? 

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I heard willard sucked today. I had guys talking to me at beavercreek because they had done no good there. B-C was nothing to get excited about
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

maxfire26

• View Profile
Well, I saw with my own eyes that Willard did not suck if you had red maggots.  Wax worms caught nothing, I do know that. 

risterles

• View Profile
didnt make it sat. went today nnothing i might have missed 1 fished from about 11 till 5

Vexilar