Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Fried Saugeye and Shrooms

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
    I know it's early to talk wild mushrooms but if your like me you still have some dehydrated from last year.  Bring these back by soaking a day in Whipping creme.  At the same time pull some fillets out of the freeze and thaw in fridge.  The next day the shrooms will be ready and the fillets should be 85% thawed.  Take a bag or two of saltine crackers and crush to a gritty powder.  Beat a few eggs and if you want spice add into the egg.   I don't add a thing neither needs it.  Get out a bowl of all purpose flour and dip fillets and shrooms in it.  The flour give the egg something to stick to.  No matter what you fry or batter you use this should always be your first step.  Next dip the floured pieces into the egg and hold up till most drips off.  Then last roll in the cracker crumbs.  Now fry in pan or deepfryer.  When they turn a light golden brown remove.  The color of a bale of straw is perfect.  They finish cooking after you pull them from the oil.  Enjoy.
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
bud, you're making me hungry! i don't have either one....yet.

Vexilar