Ice Fish Ohio Forum

my sled prototype

skunkedagain

• View Profile
Got an old broken sled from the kids and came up wth this idea. The large bucket carries tackle and tools and also offers support for the auger during transport on the ice. The load of the bucket seat is carried by the bottom of the sled on the ice when I'm sitting on it, not the plywood deck. The small blue coffee can is for garbage.The whole thing weighs in at around 20 pounds(with minnows and water). Below the plywood deck is storage for tip-ups. All the accessories on the deck are held in with friction and do not fall off when moving on the ice. I have a 20 foot rope to pull it with that can double as a rescue rope if my partner goes in. I have been working on this for a couple weeks, off and on. Been using it and working out the bugs. my intention is to fine tune the design for use next year.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:58:59 AM by skunkedagain »

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Looks like it will work to me. The lighter the better. How is the stability?
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
that's a mighty fine sled you've got there mister!

skunkedagain

• View Profile
I pulled it through the woods a couple of times to get to the water without any problems. All the items were mounted along the centerline of the sled and the bulk of the gear is stored low to the sled, giving it a good center of gravity. I seems to work out OK.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
That is a great sled and i really enjoyed viewing all your ideas.

I have one started and never get it finished. Keep us posted on any improvements.

Do you sit on the Bucket while its in the sled?
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

skunkedagain

• View Profile
Sure do, I cut a hole in the plywood so the bucket sits on the bottom of the sled, resting on the ice.
 I went to a private pond the other day and had to hike in about a half mile. I noticed that with a bucket full of minnows, the sloshing around made it a little top heavy. I'm thinking some sort of outrigger.  :-\

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Thats what i love about sleds. You can come up with new ideas all the time.

I want to build one that is a sled when pulling and the be able to stand it up and and sit in it use as a wind break.

Just another crazy idea.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

skunkedagain

• View Profile

Vexilar