Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice thickness

KY ice · 4 · 8700

KY ice

• View Profile
Im hoping to come up from northern KY on thursday to Lima lake. Is the ice still solid.I was up there twice last week and did very well.I caught about fifty bluegill both times and limited out on some very nice trout both times (14-16 inches).I also caught a couple of decent perch.I can use Indian as plan B if neccecary but in 3 trips there this year I have caught a total of 12 bluegill and none were keepers.Ice is almost gone down here but I still have a major itch for the hardwater.Any help of info would be greatly appreciated before I make a needless 150 mile drive.

Thanks for any help

JustNutts

Hey man, thats quite a drive!! I was out today with a solid 9 inches and it was making ice like crazy! I caught 5 trout with 1 get away. 2 small perch and a bucket full of throw back gills.
Let me know when you plan your trip and we can meet up! Im still in explore mode and havent tried very hard to find any saugeye yet, BUT I WILL! I thought i was gona get into the perch but they were so small... Anyway its good to make the trip. Talk with you later.
740-507-6198 Russ
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:39:37 PM by Russ »

KY ice

• View Profile
Thanks for the update Russ.Im going to try to come up tomorrow if it isnt raining.Its supposed to rain hard down here all day but it doesnt look like it is supposed to rain up there til late in the day.If I make it up there it will probally be around noon before I can get there.I cant get on the road til around 9:00 after I get the kids off to school.Ill look for you if you are there.I drive a gold chevy cavalier with KY plates of course.Do you have a shanty or are you a bucket guy? Ill look for you if I can make it.Im about 90% sure that I should be there.Looks like you had about the same luck I had there last week! Thanks again for the info.

Crazy4Smallmouth

• View Profile
I was there today, Wed, and fished until 12:30 with Russ then fished by myself until 3. Nice meeting you Russ and thanks for showing me around. Unfortunately, I didn't catch many keeper fish. One to be exact! A nice trout, but I did catch a lot of small fish, gills, crappie, perch and trout. I believe a guy could drill a hole anywhere on that lake and catch a fish or two. In fact, that is what I did today. Every hole I drilled I pulled a fish from. Too bad they were all small. Ice thickness should not be an issue tomorrow. Like Russ said, we had a solid nine inches everywhere today. It was popping and cracking all day making ice. Good Luck!

Vexilar