Ice Fish Ohio Forum

How much do I see???

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Here is a chart to help you get a clear picture of just how big an area your flasher covers at the bottom of the lake. The whole number indicates DEPTH. The decimals indicate DIAMETER at varying degrees of (actual) cone angle, from 8 degrees to 20 degrees.

DEPTH

12°

19°

20°

This chart shows the difference in area of coverage for our various transducers.  It is meant to give you a rough idea of what the diameter of the circle, in feet, on the bottom you are seeing at a specific depth.  You must keep in mind that these are transducer specifications and, unless you have your gain set at the maximum level, you will actually be looking at a smaller area.  This brings up another interesting point.  Your gain control acts much like a variable cone angle control.  The drawback is that when you turn your gain up high everything in the middle of the cone gets blown up to the point where you can't see what's on the edge anyway.

10'

2.2 <----- Example

20'

4.3 <----- Example

30'

40'

50'

To calculate readings in deeper water, simply take the reading from ten feet and multiply it accordingly.

Example:

In 10' of water, my 12 degree transducer is capable of showing me a circular area on the bottom with a diameter of 2.2'. (See the example notation above in Green.)

Use this knowledge to calculate to the nearest 10' depth incrament on your flasher. You can also determine smaller incrament using the same approach.

So for 20' of water, just multiply (2.2' X 2 = ~4.3') This is a pretty easy way of not only knowing how large an area you're covering, but also for determining how much distance is allowable between holed to be drilled on the surface.

I hope this is as helpful to all of you as I think it should be.

For more information visit: http://vexilar.com/pages/support/support_tips/article_006.php
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Thanks Ryan, what a great idea something I can show the boys that will help one question is your top chart missing something?

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The top chart is just a reference point. This is the same chart given on vexilar's website. I've just given an explaination of the functionality.

Do you see something else that's missing? Anything that anyone can add would be great for us all.

Thanks Dave.

By the way, how are your temps up there???
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
thanks ryan i see now. Lows have been in the 20's up to 50 today 7 to 10 day outlook calls for some good ice forming weather. Could be less than 2 weeks away from good ice about 3 hours North of me. Dave

ILfisher

• View Profile
You can also use depth x 12 x degree x .0175 dived by 12

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks Scott! How was the fishing today???
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake