Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Bait question - Mousies & Spikes

OldSailor

• View Profile
Alright, I'm confused about the terms; mousie and spikes. Educate me as to what they are. Aren't they types of maggots ??? Mousies have tails and  spikes are maggots? Are the artificial ones any good, and what color is generaly best? Are they expensive, and do they keep well, the live ones that is. Are they mainly used for sunfish or what all?
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

Walleye_Wacker

I have caught just about anything under the ice with mousies and spikes- Perch, walleye, crappie, gills, trout. I personally have never had luck with artificial. I think I may not have enough experience with artificial thus I revert back to live bait.

OldSailor

• View Profile
     Russ, just what are they, do most bait shops carry them, and what's the price ???
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
Mousees

Rat tailed maggots, otherwise known as Mousees or mousies is the larval form of the Drone fly ( Eristalis tenax). They get their name from the shape of their long tail. Mousees or mousies will extend their tails to reach the surface of the water.  The tail is used to breathe thru somewhat like a breathing tube. Mousees can be found in polluted water containing organic matter. Once the larva decides its time to pupate it will crawl up out of the water and turn grayish - black for a couple of weeks until it’s ready to become a Drone fly. The Drone fly resembles a Honey bee but is a little smaller and has no stinger because it is a fly. The adult Drone flies will feed on the nectar and pollen of some flowers and will help in the pollinating process.

Spikes

If your about to eat lunch, you may want hold off for a few minutes. Our website isn’t the most appetizing unless you’re a fish. Have you ever taken out the garbage and seen maggots. Live maggots, crawling and wiggling around in the nasty trash living on decaying garbage. These maggots are similar to the same spikes we sell in bulk. They both come from Blow flies but ours are commercially raised to keep up with the demand. Our spikes are about a ½ inch long and are white with two tiny black eyes. Spikes will eat for about a week then turn into a brown cocoon. You can slow down the growth rate if you keep them in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. Spikes can last for about 2 weeks until they will start to pupate into cocoons.  Some anglers will also fish with the cocoons. The brown cocoons will hatch in a couple of weeks and turn into Blow flies and start to repeat their lifecycle.

SPIKES
 Spikes are used for ice fishing more often than open water fishing. Panfish like bluegill, perch and crappie are commonly fished for with spikes. Whitefish and trout also eat spikes. Sometimes fishing in the winter, the bite can be pretty tough and sometimes very small finesse baits with natural scent like spikes works best.

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
most impresive  I think I have learned quite a bit about both. I do wonder what color works best?  or does color matter

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
when you refer to color, you must be referring to "euro larva" or colored maggots aka spikes. I cannot personally say its made a difference one way or another. it's more about scent,texture, movement in my opinion. I have viewed "euro larva" as more of a selling point for fisherman.

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Correct me if I am mistaken, but think have seen spikes sold in common colors; basically think they dye whatever the spikes feed on with food coloring. Too BAD they DON`t have "glo' spikes !

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I've seen glo spikes!  But I can't remember where. ???  If I think of it I'll let you know.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OldSailor

• View Profile
1977 walleyeguy, I saw that same information AFTER I started the thread. Thanks!! I guess I'll just have to find some and try them this winter. (if we ever get ice!) ;D

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have had better luck with spikes than mousees for the panfish, but have heard other guy's like the opposite.

The one thing i like about spikes is they seem to last long as far as storing them.

I usually by them by the 500 count.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

OldSailor

• View Profile
Thanks David. I must say that i kind of stirred up a can of worms with this thread! Better make that spikes and mousies!! ;D I learned alot and want to thank all of the members who are helping educate me!! Now we need ice so I can check some out!!

Vexilar