Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Gas Augers

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Hey guys I know gas augers were a big topic at the seminar.

My Dad will be buying one this winter and I am curious about which ones you like and why.

How long do the blades last?
Do they leak gas at all

We were going to get the Jiffy propane auger but the engines are no longer tecumseh and are probably made in China.

Thanks for your input!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I hae an Eskimo Z51 Shark. Just got it towards the end of the season so I havent had it long enough to know how long the blades last. As for the fuel leaking my auger hasnt lost a drop. It is deffenetly a beast ripping thru the ice.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Also curious about weight. Is it a pain to carry?

Thanks junkie good seminar this weekend btw!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
It weighs 30 lbs. its not bad pulling it in the sled. An average 8 inch hand auger is 6 to 8 lbs. I will drag the extra weight everyday and not complain about it. The thing to complain about is how bad my arms hurt trying to drill 100 holes a day. You will find that with a power auger you fish harder then you ever have. Its a lot easier to fish 40 - 50 different spots to get on the fish.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I agree the extra weight is well worth the pain free shoulders. I drill three times as many holes.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
I have a Eskimo Mako. Awesome for the price. Here it it in action.

Eskimo mako
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
Also I had at least 1' of ice
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

mitch131

• PRO STAFF
  • there always next year
    • View Profile
I have a strikemaster it is 27 pounds i just got it last year and use one tank of gas when the ice is thick i use it i would say its worth it weight.
marcum
strikemaster
jammin jigs
artic armour

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I also fish the strikemaster, never leaked gas for me either.  I've had mine 3 years, this will start the fourth season.  Never had to touch the blades yet!  If you're careful and don't drop the blades on the ice or on your garage floor, they should last a long time.  The gas auger will change the way you fish.  Like I said at the Fin, if you are mobile, and can drill a lot of holes, you're going to be a better fisherman because you will move to find fish.  Now moving and drilling new holes won't seem like a chore.  You can drill 50 in 5-10 minutes, instead of 1-2 hours.  Plus it's easy on gas.  Fill the tank before you start, and you won't need to carry a gas can.  I've drilled over 200 holes in a day before and not run out of gas. ;D  The added weight is very worth it as well.  It seems light compared with dragging your gear around with aching shoulders from a hand auger.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

perchguy

• View Profile
I have the strikemaster don't use it much,never had any problems with it runs great.

g

• View Profile
i've used my striemaster laser mag xpress for 7-8 years now. have never changed blades yet.doesn't leak any fuel. i had it for 3 years before i used it (always went with a buddy that had 1 ). i've had to replace the recoil, the gas tank (sled rope broke the choke lever ) and adjuust the idle.  i love it, beats hand augers any day.

OldSailor

• View Profile
i've used my striemaster laser mag xpress for 7-8 years now. have never changed blades yet.doesn't leak any fuel. i had it for 3 years before i used it (always went with a buddy that had 1 ). i've had to replace the recoil, the gas tank (sled rope broke the choke lever ) and adjuust the idle.  i love it, beats hand augers any day.
 You need to get your shoulder in shape so I can watch it in action!! LOL... Or I'll use it and you can supervise!! You can take it easy on your shoulder and just catch fish!! ::)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:44:08 PM by OldSailor »
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I have a strikemaster 10 1/4".  Bought it off craigslist for $100 bucks and got the blades replaced and it runs perfect.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Thanks for the info guys. My Dad picked up a brand new shark today at cabelas for under 300 don't ask me how but he is cupon crazy and what not! I am really glad to hear that the blades last so long!!! Only thing I am worried about is the noise but it looks SWEET! thanks all!!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Trick is keep the water off the blades and they will not rust on you.  Take the two seconds to wipe them dry after you rip holes and they will be good for a long time.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Vexilar