Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Dec. 29th at Wiilard

turkeyneck003

• View Profile
No ice yet but next weeks cold spell could be the turning point....
Gaff its not just for chicken...

whistlepig

• View Profile
Sure can't wait for ice up, but the weather sure don't look to great. Did you do much good there last year? Son and I had many small fish days (perch) last year compared to 2010. I would really like to get into some of those big gills that are in there.

turkeyneck003

• View Profile
Last year we fished hard for the perch and am trying to catch some walleye on a consistant basis.....still working on it.....hope this year to hammer them....

eye spy

• View Profile
Good luck on catching eyes out of there.  I have fished there a lot and have never caught a keeper sized eye but have pulled up a couple small ones.  There are some in there but not enough to target in my opinion. The perch fishing is also not nearly what it used to be. Way too many fish were taken out of there from 2007-2010.  Back in the prime years, it was not uncommon to catch a limit of 10+ inch perch with some 12-13 inters mixed in. Once the word got out, the place was packed and it got fished out. What is even worse, when the big fish started to disappear, some people starting keeping limits of small perch (5-6"). I confronted one of those guys and asked him how he was going to fillet a fish that small and he replied "I don't know but I sure as h*** am not going to throw them back. I fished out there a handful of times last year (I live 5 minutes away) and did catch a couple decent perch but most of my hard water perch action was done on Erie even though it was a much longer drive.

turkeyneck003

• View Profile
You are 100 % right.....People still don't get it, that it is like all natural resourses it has to be managed to be at its best.....I've fish it for years and it is definatly on a low right now.....But it will slowly come back.....But I still fish it a few times just can't stay off it all winter.....We've been slipping over to New London a lot more lately.....And Bucyrus has been calling our name..... 

eye spy

• View Profile
I have always wanted to try bucyrus but don't know anything about it. Maybe we can hook up and give it a shot if we get good ice.

Ryan

turkeyneck003

• View Profile
Sounds good.....the forcast looks like we may have a chance to keep some ice this coming week.....time will tell

Vexilar