Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Sandusky Bay Update

whitefishbay

• View Profile
Ice thickness is 3.50 inches.. there was a few guys out on first spring and also the second spring today from reports not much hitting probley cuzs of cold front.. If it continoue the cold weather should be safe by weekend 3.50 isnt enough for me to go out there.
Beavercreek Res. West Harbor, Lake Erie Area, NW Ohio Res.

eye spy

• View Profile
I was out there for a couple hours this afternoon and didnt have the first bite.  The water is dirty with less than 2 inches of visibility. There are some areas with 3 inches of ice but I also found areas with about an inch. It would be very easy to go through if you don't know there area.  Out there, you can be standing on good ice and take two steps and go through. I am going to wait a while before I go back after the conditions I saw today.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I heard there were guys out there... Sucks to hear the visibility is bad, but then again what can you expect on the bay. I know I don't like to go there because even when there is "good" ice there it can be one step and in the drink and I seem to only have luck at the first spring... Oh well we'll see how she holds up I might try it tomorrow for somethin to do!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Visited the old homestead today and checked spots around the bay. North side of old bay bridge on west side had 3 shanties out. Then saw one group out at dark on west side of thomas edison in the south corner of the bridge. Ice did not look all that great and prob. wont make this warm up. Did not talk to any guys so do not know how the bite was. Did not goto to white's landing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:09:18 AM by erierider »
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

whitefishbay

• View Profile
I heard they got perch there yesterday.. today was a little slower.. but im worry ice wont be around tomorrow but low of 20 degrees tonight.. 4 inches is a little scarely on SB
Beavercreek Res. West Harbor, Lake Erie Area, NW Ohio Res.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Anyone heard much from the bay should be good for weekend?
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert

Nwohioiceman123

• View Profile
I was fishing a marina on the bay. Anywhere from 1-3 inches of ice. The bay was completely iced over but I didn't see any shanties. Still pretty muddy though.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Well if its muddy I guess I will try plan B. Were you in clemons this weekend?
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert

Nwohioiceman123

• View Profile
It was a private marina(harbor bay estates). Not sure what clemons s. I did see two shanties on east harbor on sunday

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I gotcha. clemons is a usual baby perch hole on the south side that gets fished early. Ya I saw where they fell through on the way out by shore it was thin!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert

Jakeesspoo

• View Profile
That was me and my buddy at east harbor on Sunday.  We didn't "fall through" just broke the ice up a bit getting out.   I spend all winter outside hunting,fishing, and working so getting a wet foot to get out doing something I enjoy doesn't bother me.  My feet are froze all winter anyhow.   If I go in I climb out,warm up,put on dry clothes and find another spot.   Not gonna sit at home watching tv like everyone else or drive round and watch others fish. I have a great respect for the dangers involved with ice but at the same time I am not scared of it.  Its lays your judgement. If your not fit or capable of getting yourself out of a bad situation than yes it is in your best interest not to go out.   It's all pretty common sense.   Some people can barely get out of their recliners let alone a hole in the ice

Jakeesspoo

• View Profile
East harbor was lousy.   Not like it used to be in the past.  Don't know where all the weed beds have gone.  I don't ever go over there in the summer ad our bots are docked in Sandusky so I don't know maybe they purposely somehow cleaned out one of the weed beds mechanically or chemically.   

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Yes I guess I used wrong wording but I don't blame ya. I was also out there by myself once this year on ice that guys turned around on once they saw what it was. Thankfully the weeds have been cleaned out of the usual spots. They will be back and so will the fish, with a LITTLE time. I still have spots I can fish but I did try a lot of others and found out how gone they really are. Oh well it will be good to have the zoo off of there these past couple years!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert

Jakeesspoo

• View Profile
Agreed.   It was getting crazy crowded out there.  The parking lot was ill one day and the ranger leftmea parking ticket because my truck was not fully in the white lines painted in lot.  What a turd :)

Vexilar