Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Clam Kenai

Jonboat · 13 · 14264

Jonboat

• View Profile
Hoping you can help me out here, I'm just getting back into ice fishing & since it looking like we may get some ice this year, I decided to look for a shanty.

I ordered one off Bass pro they had a really good deal on a Kenai ($179) that I just couldn't pass up. I like to move around & a flipover sounds like the best option.

I'd like to hear some likes/dislikes if any one has one?

Will I have enough room to carry gear?

My rods are 27" will they be too long?

Does it have a wind break setting?

I know I probably should've asked before buying but I tend to get impulsive when it comes to buying fishing stuff (just ask the wife!) Really the only thing I think I might not like is being a 1 man but if it can be set as a wind break it may not be so bad unless it's really cold and my buddy is freezing his nuts off then i MIGHT feel a little guilty being nice & toasty. NOT!!!  ;D

Jonboat

• View Profile
Nobody have a Kenai ?

Looks like my impulsive buying is going to bite me in the butt again! Still time yet I guess and have always wanted one

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I don't have one, but I'm sure you'll have room.  If not there are many great ideas for modifications on this site that will get you in the right direction. ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
i bought one 2 years ago. you will have enough room to carry your gear and 27" rods will fit fine. can't use it as a wind break. still trying to figure out how to do it. didn't like the bench seat or the seat position. you have to sit with your feet on the ice instead of in the sled. i did some modifications on mine. i had a 2 man clam guide that has swivel seats & slide tubes to slide front to back. i cut the kenai seat rails & welded 19" bars & mounted my slide rails & seat in it so i can keep my feet off the ice. also bought the berkley rod holders that mount on a wall, cut them down to hold 4 rods & mounted them in the frontof the sled it holds my 28" rods ok. holds 3 rods good & the bottom rod has the reel laying flat on the sled bottom. am presently reconfigureing my front base pole. am going to add poles that will bend downward 90degrees,go straight down & bend 90 degrees straight out to help keep the wind out. when everything is done i will try & post pictures. overall it is a decent shanty & the weight isn't too bad to pull. my advice when putting your cover on is to put a 2 by 4 under the front of the sled to make sure it lies flat when it's pulled down on the ice. heating the plastic strip with a hair dryer makes it easier to work with.  enjoy & good luck.

deerslayern

• View Profile
I have a kenai im happy with it. only thing i dont like is theres no door im thinkn bout going to an amish person anh having them put a zipper door on the side, so i can leave all my gear sit when i want to stretch my legs.
When in doubt test it out.  No ice is safe ice. becareful out there.

Norm Hunitngton Jr

Pro staff
Clam
HT enterprises
frabill
Humminbird

Guide for
New London
Willard
Pleasant Hill

Jonboat

• View Profile
Thanks for all the responses, I got it all put together tonight just have to put the cover on. I've got it on and clamped ready to finish but Im not sure if the pole rests on the ground as per instructions or off the ground slightly just seems loose when adjusted with pole on ground but everything looks pretty even all around. Is that normal? Just want to do it right the first time ya know what I mean.

I'll keep the hairdryer thing in mind think I'll soak it in hot water. They say it works both ways.

Love to see some of the pics of your set up sounds pretty sweet. Only a matter of time before someone tricks a shanty out with amps & 12" subs !

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I have an amp and 12 inch subs in the garage.  That gives me an idea.  I was going to put it in my truck.   I wonder what the fish would think of vibrating ice?? ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

bassmastermjb

• View Profile
That's the problem with Clam shanties. The design sucks and lets too much cold air in where the front poles are attached to the sled. It also wouldn't kill them to make the skirts 2"-3" wider.Most of you guys know I've been selling ice gear and shanties the past 10 years. Clam is the only shanty I will not sell out of my baitshop. I've had alot of unhappy customers and have spent too many hours repairing Clam's cheap China made junk............Mark

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Dad just bought one, hope its quality lol
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Jonboat

• View Profile
That's the problem with Clam shanties. The design sucks and lets too much cold air in where the front poles are attached to the sled. It also wouldn't kill them to make the skirts 2"-3" wider.Most of you guys know I've been selling ice gear and shanties the past 10 years. Clam is the only shanty I will not sell out of my baitshop. I've had alot of unhappy customers and have spent too many hours repairing Clam's cheap China made junk............Mark

Ive heard complaints also but maybe that has changed because all the parts I got look like quality parts.... I dunno.

Sounds like you've put a few together maybe you could help does the front pole rest on the ground?

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Eventho I have a Clam Nanook, if I had a choice (and a few more $), I'd have purchased an ESKIMO or OTTER.

Clams are the functional & ok, but not the quality of the Eskimos or Otters. They are simply the best.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

whitefishbay

• View Profile

I,ve had a clam since they first made the flip top my pole are galvanize and there heavy the cavnus is heavy unlike one built these days nice deep box but they did cut corner on the front flaps  shoulda been 4 inches longer for sure but it serve it purpose all these year..
Beavercreek Res. West Harbor, Lake Erie Area, NW Ohio Res.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I have had clams, Eskimo and used frabils quality seams to be about the same. Otter on the other is quality. Wish I could afford one.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Vexilar