Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice Update?

maxfire26

• View Profile
Yeah I didn't end up going yesterday (Friday).  I didn't know it was going to be 40+ degrees all night Thursday night.  I'm going to go check it out this a.m. (Saturday). 

maxfire26

• View Profile
Ice is holding up good and perch are on (somewhat).  Mostly small...been out 4 times and caught decent numbers of perch along with a few gills.  Haven't caught a limit yet but averaged around 15-20 perch each time except for my first time out when I only caught 3.

eye spy

• View Profile
I would not say the ice is holding up good.  There has been more open water around the pump house each day and there are now several spots starting to open up towards the nw end.  Like you said, the perch are very small!  I do not understand the guys who keep the 6-7" perch and then brag about catching 20 keepers?  I have fished there a lot this year and have not caught 20 perch over 8" all season.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I agree there are alot of reports of catches but they are on the small side,those fish need to be allowed to grow up before they become braggable,small fish are alot of work for little reward,just my opinion though ;)
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
How much have you guys been fishing on down there this week?
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

deerslayern

• View Profile
I personallt stopped fishing for perch there. Due to lack of size. 2010 ice season on my camera I saw more 5in perch and smaller and last summer less larger size than any other year. I agree people need to let the smaller ones grow. any more that drink is great for eyes, bass and gills. very numerous and almost over populated with gills. But atleast they have good sizes of 8in to 11in there. just my thoughts though
When in doubt test it out.  No ice is safe ice. becareful out there.

Norm Hunitngton Jr

Pro staff
Clam
HT enterprises
frabill
Humminbird

Guide for
New London
Willard
Pleasant Hill

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Where is this lake at?  With bass and gills that size now I'm curious.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

mitch131

• PRO STAFF
  • there always next year
    • View Profile
It just off st rt 224 in huron county
marcum
strikemaster
jammin jigs
artic armour

deerslayern

• View Profile
willard res is on st rt 61 just north of rt 103 . gin clear water, electric motors only. ur not allowed to have a gas motor on not even in perchd position. Ive seen city cops kick people off the water 4 having them on.  I plan on doing alot of fishing there. Its a honey hole to fill the freezer fast.
      I took the wife there and in an hr she had over 100 gills over 9in. From may to oct. its like that every day nonstop action. bass r nice ranging frm 1lb to 3.5 to 4lbs and some bigger. the eyes usually range 18 to 21in. my best was last summer 28.5in a nice hawg.

Norm Hunitngton Jr

Pro staff
Clam
HT enterprises
frabill
Humminbird

Guide for
New London
Willard
Pleasant Hill

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That blows. My boat won't be allowed on there.  Is it worth an hour and a half drive for the bull gills just fishing from shore?
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

eye spy

• View Profile
Not worth that far of a drive to me. The only reason I fish there is because it is 5 minutes from my house. Lots of weeds which makes fishing from shore tough.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I see. I'll put it on my list to ice fish for next season. Or if I'm in that area I'll throw my kayak in the truck and fish it that way.  Thanks for the imput guys.  ;D

Team Wilcraft!

deerslayern

• View Profile
To me its most definately worth the trip. Im only 40min to the east. If u watch my reports that will give u an idea of when is a good time to make the trip. Now... I do use my ice rod all year long there typically chartruce, green and gold ice jigs tippped with maggots most of the time. Its the way to go to fill ur freezer fast. soft craws work great 4 the gills as well as the perch.Or u can use slip bobber from the bank that works great to. jigs or a hook and split shot. No bigger than 4lb test is what I use.

Norm Hunitngton Jr

Pro staff
Clam
HT enterprises
frabill
Humminbird

Guide for
New London
Willard
Pleasant Hill

Icetester

• View Profile
Probably a dumb question, but did any ice survive at all?

maxfire26

• View Profile
I was wondering the same.  I have to work a few hours this a.m. (Friday) and then I'm planning on heading down to Willard and checking it out.  If anyone knows how the ice is you could save me a trip by letting me know. 

Vexilar