Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Difference in rods

deerslayern

• View Profile
Is there a big difference in forsay a frabill rod and a more expensive rod (actions vary) or is it a personal preferance?
When in doubt test it out.  No ice is safe ice. becareful out there.

Norm Hunitngton Jr

Pro staff
Clam
HT enterprises
frabill
Humminbird

Guide for
New London
Willard
Pleasant Hill

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I have both, and Frabill, Clam, and even some Shakespeare ugly sticks passes the eye test when you hold the rods next to each other. I break most of my expensive rods anyway so if it were up to me, I would pick the Frabill as long as the reel was good, I feel a good reel goes a longer ways than a well made rod on ice.

The above is my recommendation to most anglers looking for just a combo to get them through most species on most days. The trend in ice fishing is to follow soft water bass fishing where pro anglers have a rod for every presentation, for these types of angles, I call up Jason Mitchell, St. Croix, and sometimes just stick with American Made (more $$) and go with Thorne Bros. All great rods all for specific presentations and if you have the $$ to spend why not, but if you fishing on a budget, the difference between a $30 combo and a $100 combo is not significant enough to break your budget.

The owner of Thorne Bros summed it up best last off season when he told me that the Chinese are getting better and better at matching our American made products and will one day be able to make the same quality rods at a cheaper price. (This confirms the trends we have seen in Jason Mitchell and St.Croix going to China recently).

Hope this helps.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
I say the difference is in if the rod goes through the handle. I found just a better feel and touch if it does.
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
If you learn to keep a finger on the line you can use a stick and still feel the bite.  Learned years ago after breaking 2 $300 rods in one season.  The difference between high dollar and poor man's rods aren't enough to justify the price.  I agree that a better reel is more important.  Picked up a Black Betty and love it. 
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
A day in the life of an ice rod.  Thrown onto an ice bucket then bounced around in the car or truck . When a fish is landed its dropped on the ice and if a fish hits the dead stick its dropped on the ice ,if a flag goes up on a tip up it'd dropped on the ice. Then back in the bucket and car .      Get Ugly sticks. ???

Vexilar